LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I find old "write to digital port.vi"

I have an old (like 20 year old) LAbView project that I would like to get up and running. Unfortunately it uses one of the old LabView library vi's, Write to Digital Port. Is there anywhere that I can download that old vi?

Thanks 

WaterCal

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,796 Views)

That sounds like one that was a part of the traditional NI-DAQ drivers.

Replace that with DAQmx.

That means some partial rewriting of your VI's.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,777 Views)

Yes, understood. I was trying to avoid the rewrite. Someone else wrote the old project and I'm not much of a developer , although could if I had to 🙂 . If I had the old vi (or library) I could just point to it and the project would run. So I was hoping there was an archive somewhere, or someone might have it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,759 Views)

@WaterCal wrote:

If I had the old vi (or library) I could just point to it and the project would run. So I was hoping there was an archive somewhere, or someone might have it.

No, it won't be that easy. While traditional DAQ is still available, it won't run on any 64bit OS and also windows 10 is not supported.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,745 Views)

@WaterCal wrote:

Yes, understood. I was trying to avoid the rewrite. Someone else wrote the old project and I'm not much of a developer , although could if I had to 🙂 . If I had the old vi (or library) I could just point to it and the project would run. So I was hoping there was an archive somewhere, or someone might have it.

I'm afraid you will have to do some rewriting!

It isn't that bad, mostly replacing old NI-DAQ subVI's with their DAQmx equivalents.

Read Transition from Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) to NI-DAQmx in LabVIEW for some guidance.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,733 Views)

OK. Thanks very much for pointing me to the tutorial. I'll let you know how painful it was after I'm done.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,722 Views)

Going to second the advise here. There are no one-to-one replacement VI(s) for the old traditional DAQ suctions. DAQmx is the new functions to use. However, they are different in ways that would be 'complex' to a novice user.

Having coded in LabVIEW 1.1.0 to the current version, I would recommended you start with MAX and create a 'Virtual channel' or 'Virtual task' for the signal you are wanting to duplicate. This provides for you to select the physical DAQ device, channel and type of signal. Within MAX without LabVIEW coding, you can actually operate the DAQ hardware from MAX to actually test the control or acquisition of the signal.

Once you have that task saved in MAX, you then open LabVIEW and drop the MAX Task on the LabVIEW diagram and it can create the basic LabVIEW function to perform that task within LabVIEW.

If you have problems, contact me. I'm happy to help within limits to get you back on the road....My offer is free. Although we do consulting in LabVIEW based test systems.

As your working with old LabVIEW legacy code. Your issue is unique and we have experience using early LabVIEW...originally, LabVIEW was in B&W.

Regards

Jack Hamilton

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,692 Views)

Hi, If the traditional DAQ won't run any 64bit OS, is it then safe to assume if we run LabVIEW 2014 (for instance) with the traditional DAQ in a 32bit OS this would fix the problem? 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(1,207 Views)

@screen_fan wrote:

Hi, If the traditional DAQ won't run any 64bit OS, is it then safe to assume if we run LabVIEW 2014 (for instance) with the traditional DAQ in a 32bit OS this would fix the problem? 

It's not "safe to say" but I think it's more Windows version dependent.  https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/compatibility/22/traditional-ni-daq--legacy--windows-... 

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(1,200 Views)

@screen_fan wrote:

At this point, I would do a rewrite of the application to use DAQmx.  Just make sure the version you use still supports the hardware you are using.  Go through the Readme files to verify.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(1,160 Views)