LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with executable when .NET Assembly DLL changes?

I have a LabVIEW project that utilizes a .NET dll.  There are .NET constructor, .NET invoke nodes, .NET property nodes and Reg Event Callback functions throughout.  Using this project, I have successfully built executable and everything works fine.  But then, .NET dll developer needed to fix a bug in the dll, and provided me with new dll.  So then, do I have to rebuild executable, or can I just replace the dll and fix to the dll would apply to executable?

Thanks!

Rieko

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,472 Views)

In the past I have simply replaced the dll- this assumes it is the same filename and the function calls names and parameter are the same.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,453 Views)

The simple answer to the question posed in the Subject line is clearly "Start Swearing!".

Is it easy to simply install the new DLL and see if it works?  I can imagine scenarios where it would work, and scenarios when it would fail.  I thought the "idea" of a Dynamic Link Library is that it did not have to be part of the Executable, so could change independently, but there's nothing like an Experiment to verify if this is the case in your situation ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,438 Views)

As has been said, you *should* be able to just replace the DLL and all will be happy.  But this does come with a lot of assumptions such as the methods did not add or remove parameters.  Try it.  If you run into issues, go through the rebuild process.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,421 Views)