cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the structure of waveform file generated and read by LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Plutto,

"dat" is just a generic file extension and can be used for any kind of files…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(595 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author KK97

@KK97 wrote:

I just want to generate a waveform file with Python which can be read...

I stopped the quote there for a reason.  Let's just look at what the goal is.  You need to generate a file of some type in Python and then have LabVIEW read that file and do something with the resulting waveform.  I go back to just having your Python script generate a tab delimited text file with the waveform data points.  Then you just use the Read Delimited Spreadsheet.vi in LabVIEW to read the file and then you can do whatever it is you need to.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 12 of 14
(592 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

That's all nice and good but likely way over the head of the topic creator. While the 16 bytes datetime is actually sort of parsable (it's a 64 bit signed integer containing the seconds, and a 64 bit unsigned integer containing the fractional seconds), there are other difficulties in this such as the fact that the Variant memory layout never has been fully documented. And also that all these numbers are stored in big endian format in the data stream.

There are better things to do with your time than trying to parse binary files so unless you write such things as your job every day or just really really want to tinker with such difficulties for the fun of it, I would advice to use a different file format to share data between LabVIEW and non-LabVIEW applications.

Mostly, I agree. As a binary file read and write performance is increased which can be quite important, but hasn't been mentioned in this case. The original question was how to write in the waveform format and then this is useful info, for simpler transfer a text file is always simpler, disregarding the slight loss of precision with the standard format (which usually is negligible).

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(584 Views)

Thanks a lot! I will try it later.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(570 Views)