From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to get all project code together in one place?

I have a project I have been working on for the last couple months. It is an upgrade to an older project but I have started a completely new project since it's a major rewrite...

Anyway A long time ago when I wrote the original program I also made a set of underlying VI's that were basically my own abstraction layer. Now I used most of these in the new project and if they needed to be changed in a way that made them not compatible with the older software. I made a new copy of the VI with an updated name, but all these VI's (new and old) are in a subdirectory(s) in my User.lib.

I also started this project by using one of the built in LabVIEW design patterns. Since I used the CMH design pattern the project came with a bunch of VI's already in the "Support" directory, and I only ended up using a few of them, I also had to modify a couple of them. (What good is a Dequeue Message VI without a variable timeout?) 

So now I have a project with VI's scattered about my computer. Normally this does not bother me but a coworker was rather impressed by my implementation of a CMH and asked for my source code. 

I would like to:

1. Remove all unused VI's from the project 
  2. Put all VI's that are used in the project directory structure (except for the instrument "drivers")

What would be the easiest way to accomplish this besides making a "Source Code Distribution" and manually cleaning it up?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(705 Views)

I doubt it's the BEST way but I usually end up doing a Save As... and then using the Duplicate .lvproj file and contents option.  It makes a copy of everything needed but saves it with the same filepath structure where it found it which means I have to dig down into the hierarchy and manually move everything to the new file structure I desire.  It's a pain but I guess LabVIEW can't be expected to guess where I want to put my files so it just does the best it can.  I've used the feature several times on other peoples projects when I take them over and want to be sure I have every VI that the project depends on.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(642 Views)