From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does this mean?

I am having a hard time understanding what arrays, clusters and strings mean, and what roles they play; will you please explain it in layman's term to me.

Thank you
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,327 Views)

An array is a series of elements of the same type. It can have varying lengths (An analogy would be a building which can have many floors, but all the floors would be designed in the same way).

A cluster is a collection of elements which can be of different types, like a bag - it can have an apple, three oranges and a cell phone, but you carry them in a single bag.

A string is simply a sequence of alphanumeric characters, like a word or a sentence.

This is all really basic stuff. To learn more about LabVIEW, I suggest you try searching this site and google for LabVIEW tutorials. Here, here, here and here are a few you can start with and here are some tutorial videos. You can also contact your local NI office and join one of their courses.
In addition, I suggest you read the LabVIEW style guide and the LabVIEW user manual (Help>>Search the LabVIEW Bookshelf).

Thanks, I have the manual and all but I guess I learn faster and understand it more if someone else explain it to me.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,304 Views)