LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does a red outline inside a Case Statement mean?

I'm developing some code, and opened an existing VI that has a Queued Message Handler inside it.  One Message Case ("Shutdown") has a thin red outline on the inner border of the Case "box" -- what does this mean, where did it come from, and what should I do about it (including "How do I get rid of it?")?.

This code was developed in LabVIEW 2012.  I'm pretty sure I haven't seen this previously.  I should probably mention that I tested this VI, it quit unexpectedly (possibly by throwing an error somewhere), and I'm looking at the "saved VI".

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,399 Views)

Hi Bob,

that's probably a breakpoint. You could use the breakpoint manager...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,397 Views)

It's a breakpoint on entry to the specific case. Click the breakpoint tool in an empty space inside the case to cancel it.

(4,396 Views)
-You can clear break point from Breakpoint Manager Goto View>>BreakPoint Manager lists all available breakpoints.
-If that is not your case, then it will be nice to post your vi or screenshot so that we can help.
Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,382 Views)

Thanks to GerdW and tst for the rapid responses.  Some observations (before this "goes away").  First, right-clicking on a blank space inside the Case Statement brings up the Function palette (oops -- I didn't read your reply carefully -- you said to click the Breakpoint Tool, just a sec -- yep, that does it, but I don't think I've ever used the Breakpoint tool, rather I manage Breakpoints by right-clicking on wires and going from there).  Second, I used the Breakpoint Tool to put the breakpoint back on this Case, and brought up the Breakpoint Manager by right-clicking the Error line and choosing Breakpoint Manager.  Sure enough, it popped up a notice saying there was one breakpoint set on a Diagram object.  When I cleared it, it cleared the top left red border and about 15% of the left side border (at the top), but most of the red border remained until I clicked away from this case then clicked back.

Thanks for the explanation.  Where is this noted?  I did a search for Case Statement, didn't see it.  I suppose if I already knew it was a Breakpoint notification, I could have found it under Breakpoint Help ... (nothing like Knowing the Answer to help you Find the Answer).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,378 Views)

Hi Bob,

LabVIEW marks coercion dots and breakpoints in red (by default). Do you know any other LabVIEW item in red?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 6 of 9
(4,373 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Bob,

LabVIEW marks coercion dots and breakpoints in red (by default). Do you know any other LabVIEW item in red?

The ERROR case of a case structure when you wire the error cluster to the case selector.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,353 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Bob,

X's on broken wires (if you show them)

The error glyph on an error ring set to generate error

Error cluster T booleans

the "!" glyph on an unlinked shared variable

Silver cancel and stop boolean button glyphs

the Abort button

the Resume button (When paused)

Red means attention is needed (Except for the default Thermometer fill color-  Some may claim that was a mistake)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,341 Views)

A property node set to "ignore errors inside node" gets a little red glyph on its output error terminal.  Just one more place I can recall.

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,296 Views)