LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What could be the best way to send .arb file created on local computer to AWG only based on labview program?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using Labview to create .arb file and want to send it to AWG (Keysight 33600 A) only based on Labview program (USB as connection). What could be the best way to achieve it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,515 Views)

The programming manual available here shows that you can set up an arbitrary waveform using SCPI commands (see around page 424).

As a result, it would seem the best way to do this with LabVIEW is to establish the necessary SCPI commands, and then send them to the device using probably the VISA Write node (and the accompanying VISA Open, Close, Read as necessary).

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,464 Views)

@Sharonpeng11 wrote:

I am using Labview to create .arb file and want to send it to AWG (Keysight 33600 A) only based on Labview program (USB as connection). What could be the best way to achieve it?

Below is a snippet of how I save an ARB. I couldn't figure out how to save an ARB directly to internal memory. The workaround was to create it in volatile memory first, and then transfer that waveform to the non-volatile location.

The drivers I use are for an older Agilent ARB (335xxx series). You probably want to get the drivers for your newer model (here), but the steps should be similar. The full path will probably be different, and so will the VISA resource for the USB connection.

NOTE: I somewhat remember that this snippet will cause an error if the "AWG Name" or the "Filename" already exists on the device. Make sure you choose unique names.

AWG Driver.png

Message 3 of 5
(2,452 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sharonpeng11

I forgot to include a step between the "Create AWG" and "Store AWG" VIs. Insert the "Configure AWG" with the appropriate parameters. That way when you later recall the stored Waveform, it will already be set up with those settings instead of the defaults.

Configure.JPG

Message 4 of 5
(2,443 Views)

By the way, when I configure the output voltage limit, looks like even the amplitude is higher than the setting, it gives an error but still output the waveform with high amplitude. Is there a way to check if the amplitude is higher than the setting, then stop output waveform?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,343 Views)