LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Block (function) is this?

Ok, now you actualy measure what the sensor gives back at you at the least one of the two channels. Usually an LVDT has two outputs and a reference input. Does your sensor has the following configuration? :

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000243 EndHTML:000043287 StartFragment:000043023 EndFragment:000043219 StartSelection:000043023 EndSelection:000043219 SourceURL:http://www.te.com/usa-en/industries/sensor-solutions/insights/lvdt-tutorial.html LVDT Tutorial | LVDT Basics - What is an LVDT | TE Connectivity

Illustrates what happens when the LVDT's core is in different axial positions.

So you should have an S1, S2, and a P at your sensor. Based on your specification check if the sensor is connected correctly.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 32
(1,648 Views)

Gert-Jan,

Well, it is reading, but an LVDT sensor is not supposed be used my making contact with the inner loop as far as I know. 

I believe it does have the same configuration. I attached a schematic from the info sheet (HR 100 LVDT). 

I can't really say if it is connected correctly, it has 6 wires coming out from a black tape wrapped at the end- this was a previous colleague's work. 

I don't think I've mentioned it, but all 6 of these wires run through a circuit board, that has an AD598 chip, essentially an amplifier. Whilst I originally thought that I needed an external voltage source, from the AD598 info sheet it seems that this is its external excitation source for the LVDT. 

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 32
(1,640 Views)

Gert-Jan, 

It has 5 wires, not 6. I also cannot tell which wire directly leads to the DAQ because there is an adapter to the circuit that passes 5 wires from the LVDT and 4 set of wires to the DAQ card. I have both the digital and analog line of pins grounded with one wire each. The rest are connected to the AO analog pin and the 2.5 V Digital pin. 

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 32
(1,632 Views)

Alaspina,

5 wires seem normal. The AD598 needs a powersupply between Pin 1 and Pin 20. Can you measure with a voltage meter that it actualy has a powersupply? If so measure between pin 2 and 3 if you can measure the excitation (AC Voltage) signal going to the sensor? If there is no powersupply than you should check if the pcb has a power supply. If there is no excitation signal than the chip is death.

If it has a powersupply and there is an excitation signal can can you measure between pin 17 and 10 also a AC voltage? If not then you sensor is either defective or not mounted properly. 

I am assuming that the setup has worked in the past and doesn't any more. But for now lets check our basics first and make sure that everything works

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 32
(1,626 Views)

I would suggest going back one more step, use NI Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX). Create a Task; Acquire Signals/Analog Input/Position/LVDT to see if: 1) you have a device that is LVDT capable, 2) It is getting signals. I usually do this first, before trying to troubleshoot my code, has shown me errors in wiring, dead devices, etc., before trying to determine why LabVIEW code isn't working.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 32
(1,617 Views)

LV_Pro

That is what we are doing ever since we detected that we did not get the expected signals.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 32
(1,612 Views)

LV_Pro, 

My LVDT device cannot be directly read from the Analog input-> Position-> LVDT sensor option. The only way it can be read (incorrectly) is with the voltage input. 

Gert-Jan, 

Can the DAQ card recognize voltage inputs from any pin? What are the 2.5 and 5 V inputs on the digital side for then? 

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 32
(1,603 Views)

Hi alaspina,

Can the DAQ card recognize voltage inputs from any pin?

Your USB6009 can read voltage signals on any analog input.

What are the 2.5 and 5 V inputs on the digital side for then? 

Those are no inputs, they are outputs - as is written in the manual of your device!

RTFM!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 32
(1,590 Views)

Alaspina

GerdW is correct, the 2.5 and 5 volt connections on pin 30 and 31 are Analog outputs. Based on the specs of the USB-6009 the inputs you could use are:

AI0 = pin 2

AI1 = pin 3

AI2 = pin 5

AI3 = pin 6

AI4 = pin 8

AI5 = pin 9

AI6 = pin 11

AI7 = pin 12

They measure voltages related to

GND = Pin 1/4/7/10/13/16

Please confirm that you connected the sensor correctly to the DAQ device.

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 32
(1,581 Views)

Gert-Jan

Sorry, I didn't see any where that you had suggested just using MAX to see the signals, only that you had a simplified DAQ program.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 32
(1,559 Views)