LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web-based installer download always hangs

I'm trying to download the NI software bundle associated with my license

http://www.ni.com/download/web-based-installer-software-platform-bundle-fall-2018/7925/en/

but these web-based installers always hangs, or downloads very (like less than 0.5 MB per minute) slowly.

They always start with ok speed, but after some time, they slow down (like now, at 5% for a 73GB download).

In the past I've tried to complete the download, but after 48 hrs it got stuck.

My internet speed is about 65 MB/sec, for both down- and up-load. I'm located in Norway.

Please help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,042 Views)

I've used it several times recently.  I've seen various download speeds, depending (in part) on whether I'm using my University's pretty-fast "Pipe" or a WiFi connection with 50M/s download.  Patience is a virtue here, also "selective downloading" (i.e. only install the Modules, Toolkits, and Drivers you really need).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,023 Views)

I believe that NI is using a distribution model with local caching servers and hopefully there is one "near" Norway and that seems likely since your speeds start out OK. You hit problems once it tries to download a rare component that has never been downloaded from your area and is thus not cached and the server itself must get it from elsewhere.

If it takes 48 hours, something is obviously not right, so there might be some corruption or other misconfiguration. Does it tell you at which product it stalls?

For a 73GB download the percentage will move very (very!) slowly even if the download is still going on. What is the average ethernet traffic when you look at the task manager? It is still a few megabits/s?

Another question is why is it 73GB? Are you getting "everything"? Do you really need all that? For example you might be able to use the FPGA cloud compile service instead of getting all the Xilinx compilers.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,020 Views)

Thanks for replying Bob Schor.

Selective downloading requires some experience and investigation. I don't have a specific use-case and don't know what modules and drivers I really need. I would like to use LabVIEW for control and simulation, but also for instrumentation, communication, power analysis, vision applications, ++. I simply want my install to include as much as possible and hence covering the broadest possible range of solutions.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,013 Views)

Hi altenbach.

My average traffic is about 4 Mbps. The connection is ok. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell which product its trying to download at any time. Hence, I have no way of knowing which components are cached from a local server.

I wanted to download and install everything, just to be sure to not "miss out" on features and use-cases. My field is mechatronics and embedded systems, and the range of possible applications is very broad.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,010 Views)

At 4 Mbps (that's Mega-bytes per second), 73 GB will take about 40 hours.  Hope you are patient.  If you have several  years of LabVIEW Experience, feel free to install everything (but who really is an "expert" on software-defined radio + video image processing + machine vision + motion controllers + Real-Time +Vibration & Sound + Industrial Controllers + ...?).  Of course, once you have everything downloaded, you can still "start off gradually" by installing just LabVIEW (and VIPM), DAQmx, VISA, and little else, start developing some code, and then add on anything else you need (as the need develops) -- you won't need to download again, as the entire 73 GB will be sitting in C:\National Instruments Downloads.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(2,986 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

At 4 Mbps (that's Mega-bytes per second), 73 GB will take about 40 hours. 

Bob Schor

Sorry Bob, but I have to call you out.  That's Mega-"bits" per second.   (byte=8 bits)  Megabytes per second would be listed as MBps.  But you're math was right for megabits.  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,985 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

@Bob_Schor wrote:

At 4 Mbps (that's Mega-bytes per second), 73 GB will take about 40 hours. 

Bob Schor

Sorry Bob, but I have to call you out.  That's Mega-"bits" per second.   (byte=8 bits)  Megabytes per second would be listed as MBps.  But you're math was right for megabits.  Smiley Wink

Sorry, Rave, but I have to call you out on your grammar.  That's "your math," not "you're math."  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,973 Views)

@Ravensfan --

You are (You're) 100% correct.  And (to add Insult to Injury), I'd just looked it up, knew it was bits, added the factor-of-8 into my calculation, knew that saying "bits" was "unusual", hence I underlined it, but wrote "bytes".  Sigh -- we are never so stupid as when we try to be so smart ...

Bob "Oops" Schor

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,953 Views)

Smiley Happy @Bob Schor, glad the tone seems light at least...I started a new reduced (19 GB) download about 18 hrs ago... 64 % now !

At least the download has a pause feature so I don't have to abort for using the machine at work tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,952 Views)