From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to know how to use USBGPIB and communicate it????

hi to all,

i have a doubt that how to use USB/GPIB and how to communicate with it.. im using ADLINK USB 3488A it is USB/GPIB controller... im going to interface with Agilent Oscilloscope... im usb/gpib controller is connected sucessfully with oscilloscop..

but what is the problem is i dont know to communicate with it.. i.e how to check it...

after i place a instrument i/o assistant in block diagram is showing   instrument i/o assistant step sequences.. but i dont how to use and how to interface it oscilloscope.... 

can anyone guide me to know about this hardware device.... waiting for ur response... thank u in advance.....

Regards,
N. Srinivasan
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,803 Views)

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking how to use the GPIB controller, or how to use the instrument? If you're asking how to use the GPIB controller, there are special steps to be able to use it with VISA. See this application note (it refers to Agilent controllers, but it still applies to you):

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5990-3731EN.pdf?cmpid=1273CN

If you're asking how to use the instrument, then you need to check your instrument's documentation as to what commands to send to program it. You can check to see if there's a driver for the instrument already written by looking in the Instrument Driver Network.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,787 Views)

hello Srini

1. Establish a connection between osciloscope and p.c using the cable.

2.open MAX that is Measurement and automation explorer 

3. TOOLS ----> NI-VISA -----> Visa options

4. passports select all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Indrajit

| indrajitbarve@gmail.com | indar_indar2005@yahoo.co.in .
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,756 Views)

hi,

now my adlink usb/gpib card is connecting to agilent oscilloscope sucessfully..

can anyone tell how to acquire the signal from oscilloscope with the command set or with simple program.. im using labview 7.0.... 

thank u in advance...

Regards,
N. Srinivasan
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,711 Views)

srinivasan.accent@gmail.com wrote:
can anyone tell how to acquire the signal from oscilloscope with the command set or with simple program.. im using labview 7.0.... 

We can't because you have not indicated what model scope you are using, and commands between scopes vary. As I noted before, look in the NI Instrument Driver Network to see if a driver has already been written for your scope. If not, you will need to write the code yourself. The best thing to do is to download a driver for a scope with the same functionality as yours, and see how it's done. You will need to look at your scope's programming manual to see what commands are used to talk to the scope. We cannot do this for you - we have neither the scope nor the manual. There may be someone out there who has the same scope, but unless you indicate what it is, that's all that can be really said.

Message 5 of 10
(4,696 Views)

Since this device is from ADLINK I guess it is not compatible with MAX. Do you have a ADLINK Labview driver/software ? 

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,690 Views)

hi,

Model number as follows:

ALINK USB/GPIB controller: usb 3488A

Agilent osciloscople:  DSO6032A

NOW i can able to communicate with oscilloscope.... but i need reference knowlege of this instruments.. and some example of this instruments.....

Regards,
N. Srinivasan
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,658 Views)

hi rouge,

with usb/gpib from adlink they gave the software for this device i had already installed in my pc.... 

Regards,
N. Srinivasan
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,657 Views)

Download programming manual from here

http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/product.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&nid=-536902766.536905497&pageMode=PL

Download some code examples from here

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=1E5E6D70FCA569A3E0440003BA7CCD...

Since your GPIB board is not made by NI you must modify the code so it uses the ADLINK VIs instead of them used for NI hardware

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,642 Views)

I just bought this product too and had the same/simliar problem.  In version 4 of Adlink's software the ADLINK Vi's were installed into Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ADLGPIB\User.lib

To make it easy for labview to find I copied that into \Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2016\inst.lib\ and everything worked finally.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,350 Views)