From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video stream of the pi through Labview

Hi

I like to use the raspberry pi as an IP camera(pi is connected to a usb webcam). I am able to stream a video feed through a url on my computer but i want to do some image processing from the pi video stream through labview. Is there a way to make NI Max detect the pi video stream so i can do some image processing? the pi and the computer are on the same network

Message 1 of 2
(3,587 Views)

I don't think so. The USB camera on the Pi is not visible to the USB camera driver on the host as it is not connected to the local USB bus. And there is no other standardized protocol that could remotely transfer the camera stream to your host computer.

Depending on the OS you run on your Pi there might be some possibilities but none of them is going to be straightforward. If it is a Linux based OS you might be able to use V4L which should have an option to access a camera device remotely over network from another V4L client. However I have never done that and suspect it to be a difficult thing to setup and make to work.

If it is Windows 10 you might be able to do something similar with Windows .Net. Again, this won't be trivial to setup and is not a standard operation mode.

Other solutions might be to install a VLC server on your Pi and access that from a VLC client. It's not a direct camera access method and getting the data from the VLC client into LabVIEW will be an extra challenge, but might be working well enough.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,556 Views)