From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vector averaging method used in cross spectrum vi.

I am working on a project where I want to perform two-channel cross-correlation spectra.

for the calculation of two-channel cross-correlation, I am using cross spectrum vi (attached image).

.cross spectrum.jpg

The inside structure of cross-spectrum vi is showing in the image below.  

But I do not understand the vector averaging process of the vi. Is this correct process to do vector averaging?

Can anyone help me to understand this vector averaging process? 

vector averaging.JPG

for performing cross-correlation spectra of two-channel data, we have to follow these steps

first, performing FFT on both channels of the acquired data 
Taking the complex conjugate of one of the FFT's.
Vector multiply the FFT and the complex conjugate FFT
Vector Accumulate the sum of the Vector Multiply step above
Repeat above for as many averages as are needed
At the end of the vector averaging, Dividing the sum of the vector averages by the number of Cross-Correlations.

I am also curious about what is the inside structure of the complex spectrum averaging vi.spectrum averaging.png

which is shown in the attached image below. I have mimicked this spectrum averaging vi (in the attached file). When I run this VI for the averaging of an array of data, I don't get the average data from the output. Please check the attached LabView file and tell me what I am doing wrong on the spectrum averaging vi.  complex spectrum averaging .png
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,939 Views)

If you search on the Web for Averaging Cross Spectrum, you can find a note from NI that explains (?) the various averaging methods.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,916 Views)