From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable number of stacked plots visible

I have 8 waveforms displayed in a stacked chart.  I need to allow the user to select which waveforms to disable and resize the remaining plots to fit the same space.  It is important that the user be able to zoom and scroll all waveforms together to see the entire history.

This question has come up several times since LV5.1, but there does not seem to be a built-in capablility of this in any version including LV8.0. 

The only options I found are:
8 separate charts with1 to 8 plots on each with only the top one visible
8 separate charts with 1 plot dynamically hidden and resized to fit the window with syncronization done programatically.
Xcontrol based on one of the two options above.

Any help would be appreciated.
Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,319 Views)
I think you will need to use the delete from array function to remove the data that is not displayed, probably in reverse order. Then maybe the legend plots shown property node. You might need to include the plot names in a cluster with your chart data.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,302 Views)
The legen plots shown property doesn't work if the VI is running, it only works when the VI is not-active but in memory so sub-panels don't work either...

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,289 Views)

Hi Michael,

It's a bit of work, but this example shows how to hide/reinstate one of several [stacked] plots.  Actually, I got the idea from one of Unclebumps' old posts. Smiley Wink

Suggestion: build a "driver" to handle the chart manipulations.  One of the functions could be to hide a plot (input parameters chart-refnum, and plot index.)

Hope it helps! Smiley Happy 

Message Edited by tbd on 08-15-2006 03:00 AM

Message Edited by tbd on 08-15-2006 03:00 AM

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,289 Views)
Closer! Smiley Happy
"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
Message 5 of 7
(3,273 Views)
Thanks tbd.  I will give that a try.  I tried setting the height to 0 but did not think to change the color of the disabled charts.
Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,262 Views)

Hi Michael,

You're welcome! - though I think most of the work remains undone.  How to keep the chart from "growing"?; it would be a nicer effect if the hidden-charts didn't produce gaps; however, the chart-flicker during re-sizing can be improved by deferring panel-updates during resize (Panel-reference\Defer...). Smiley Happy

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,248 Views)