LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value change event from ring with one item

I would like to have in the event handling loop an "value change" event upon selecting an item in a ring enum. 

When you have two items in a ring enum you change from item, you can catch the event with the "value change" event. When there is only one value in the ring enum, there is no change of value, thus also no event. 

However, is it possible to have get an event from a ring enum with only one value?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,178 Views)
How can it change value, if there is only one item? Else, use e.g. a "mouse up" event.
Message 2 of 14
(4,176 Views)

Well- you could write it with a Property node>Value(signaling).  That always generates the value change event even if you write the same value to it.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,167 Views)

The mouse up event only works when nothing is selected, but the mouse went up from the ring enum. This is then also for Jeff Bohrer's reply true. The user needs to know that if there is only one item to select, then click on the ring enum, but not on the single item ...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,161 Views)

I am still trying to figure out what you actually want to do with all this.

Can you describe a scenario where this becomes an issue?

What happens in the event and why does it need to execute at all if nothing changes?

How do the number of items change to one? If this is programmatic?

Can you make a simplified example of your code?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,154 Views)

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. 

I like to trigger an event when a user selects an item from a system ring. But when there is no or only one item, the event "value change" can not be used. The "mouse up" event is not really clear, because by selecting the first item, nothing happens, only when you click on the system ring.

I included an example

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,149 Views)

I think you can get where you are headed with the Operate Menu Activation and Operate Menu Dismissed events and some logic.  The Activation Event triggers when you click, if it is Dismissed you will want to remove the item you just added.

Or, I suppose you could add a blank line to the Ring so you would then get an event in the usual fashion when the user selects 'Create New Item'.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,127 Views)

@Harlequinade wrote:

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. 

I like to trigger an event when a user selects an item from a system ring. But when there is no or only one item, the event "value change" can not be used. The "mouse up" event is not really clear, because by selecting the first item, nothing happens, only when you click on the system ring.

I included an example

I think people are still going to be confused... I sure am. Why do you want to detect an event that literally cannot happen?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,125 Views)

I'm sure confused.  How can you select an item if there are no items to select?  How can you change the selection if there is just one selection?  Perhpaps you just want to fire an event when the user clicks on the ring.  Why doesn't mouse up work?

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,114 Views)

I just tried it.  Strangely enough, mouse up doesn't work because the mouse is up on the selection, not the ring itself.  However, mouse down works.  It fires an event.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
Message 10 of 14
(4,105 Views)