LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN connection to RT target

Hello

Is it possible to directly connect/build and deploy to a remote RT CompactRIO 9063 target using a VPN without having a computer connected to the CRIO on the remote end using following structure?

Development computer (local end) -> VPN -> customer network -> Managed switch -> RT CompactRIO

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,924 Views)

i have never done it,

but since a VPN will let you be inside the remote network i think this should work.

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,909 Views)

This is absolutely 100% possible...but I've never done it and have little information on how.  Your RT controller is running Linux.  It is an ARM based processor but has a package manager (OPKG) and there are several online repositories for packages.  From what I've seen one of the most common places OPKG is used is on Linux running on ARM based open source routers and network devices.  So I would expect there to be a package for doing VPN software which can be installed and used.  (quick search brought up OpenVPN which looks promising)

How do you access this from LabVIEW?  Well hopefully whatever VPN software you find has a command line version which the System Exec in LabVIEW can call into.  Otherwise you may have luck with the call library node.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,874 Views)

Right, NI's LinuxRT repository contains OpenVPN and I've tested it before, it works. However you'll have to subscribe to a VPN solution that lets you export a .ovpn file (I don't know of any free solution that does it), that's the configuration file OpenVPN will need to run. Then, as Hooovahh said, you can use the System Exec function in LV to call OpenVPN, I suggest you look at the package manual once you've installed it your your cRIO.

--Eric

Note: installing 3rd party packages on a NI LinuxRT is not supported by NI, you'll have to figure it all out by yourself (and with internet :))

Eric M. - Senior Software Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Architect - Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer - Certified LabWindows™/CVI Developer
Neosoft Technologies inc.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,856 Views)

just my 2cents: please don't let the crio serve the openvpn.

have something in front of the crio, that manages the vpn.

you will have more choices and better chance of securing the service

edit: also if you have succeeded, pls be so kind as to write a short note about it and set yourself as solution. other ppl may appreciate the confirmation and pointers.

regards

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
Message 5 of 6
(7,850 Views)

It's entirely possible, and something my company has used in the past. In our case the client had their own IT managed VPN connection, which used a Cisco Client software package running on the dev PC to provide access (similar to your diagram). Once connected, accessing the cRIO from the project or through MAX is done in the usual way, although it can be slow, and there may be timeouts depending on the network connection. We've even been able to run RT code in debug mode over a VPN.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,844 Views)