From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIs in LabVIEW 5 ?

Hiii,

I have some program VIs in LabVIEW 5.0, Can anybody tell me how can i make them compatiable to LabVIEW 8.5?

With Regards
Puneet Kapoor
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,724 Views)
Just try to open them.
If its doesn't work you will have to open first in LV 6.x and then LV 8.x

Christian
Message 2 of 8
(3,718 Views)
Yes, to do a basic conversion all you have to do is open them in the new version. A couple things to bear in mind though:

First, when they finish loading you may get a dialog box listing several "warnings". This is potentially important information that you want to look at carefully. The dialog has a button that allows you to save the data to a file. Do so, and review it to see if there is anything of significance. For example you might find that a function you are using has be deprecated and you will have to recode that particular operation or change the way you perform the operation.

Second, remember that this conversion is a one-way process. You can't convert the VIs back to the older version so be sure to have backups of all the code before you start.

Third, test the converted code carefully. There can be subtle changes in the way built-in functions operate that can make a big difference in your code's operation - especially when jumping 3+ major revisions.

Mike..

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 3 of 8
(3,712 Views)
They will not open in LV 8.x.  You will need to find a copy of LV 6.x-7.x to open them first, save them, then open them in 8.x.

All of Mike's suggestions are good ones.  Realize, too that you will need 8.x versions of any toolkits you may have used as well.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,704 Views)
There is one major change between 5.0 and 8.5 that may/will cause you problems - the threading model was corrected so it works with a multithread capable OS (I think this was done in 6.1).  The major result is that if you have delays parallel to other code, the delays will run in a parallel thread and probably not work as you expected.  Before the fix, "threads" in LabVIEW were essentially cooperative multitasking handled by LabVIEW.  After the change, threads became OS threads so they actually run in parallel (and on parallel processors, if you have them).  Expect timing issues if you have much parallel code.  Let us know if you need help fixing anything.
Message 5 of 8
(3,670 Views)
FYI:  LabVIEW 5.0 was the first multithreaded version which separeted ui threads from execution threads.
Message 6 of 8
(3,640 Views)

Matthew Kelton wrote:
They will not open in LV 8.x.  You will need to find a copy of LV 6.x-7.x to open them first, save them, then open them in 8.x.

They WILL open in LV 8.x or LV 8.xx, but WILL NOT open only in LV 8.5.
- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,615 Views)

Matt,

Dennis corrected me here. Smiley Happy

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,612 Views)