LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA wont work over Ethernet

I´m trying to connect to a device over ethernet with VISA. Problem is that my VISA wont even try to send anything over the network. I just get an error. I get a connection when testing the settings in MAX. Most of this is "stolen" from Instrument I/O Assitant. When I configure the I/O Assistant I get it to kind of work. I can send what I want, the device accepts it and send a "ok" that I sent the correct information but the I/O Assistant still gives me a timeout error. So I tried to open it an use the code myself.

I am currently using a network capturing tool to see if correct packages are sent and recieved and  I can see that, when I configure the I/O assistant, the correct packages are sent and recieved. But when I use the code below it wont do anything at all. No network traffic whatsoever.

I´m going to attend the Intermidiate 1 and 2 courses next week so I could propably get help then but I want this to work as fast as possible.

Anyway below is a printscreen of my VI. I have also attached my VI.  Why doesn´t it even try to send data?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,060 Views)

I'm not sure if this will help, but might you need to open the VISA resource first with the "VISA Open.vi"?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,032 Views)

I have a couple of questions:

1.) You are sending the string "0005 0233 3230 03" (this is the hex representation).  Are you sure this string is correct?

2.) Are you sure that there aren't any errors going into the VISA write function?  This could cause your write to fail.

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,027 Views)

The string is correct. I have tested it with TCP communication. Porblem with this VI is that I dont get that far.

Going to check if there are any errors if I need to use this. 

I found a example using TCP communication that I got to work pretty good. Going to try that instead.

Thanks for the response!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,012 Views)
Based on the error message you're seeing I think zenthoef has the right idea.  Vt92's comments are a bit off-target: looking up that error code indicates it's a connection problem, not a formatting problem, and the text of the error indicates its source is the VISA Write, not something before it.  You could confirm this by removing the error wire going into the VISA Write.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,996 Views)
Our network blocked his picture, so I didn't know the error code.... 
>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,980 Views)