From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA necessary for stand-alone program?

I plan to make an executable file using serial communications to use my
program on computers with no labview installed.

The LV application builder 6.02 proposes to include the LV run time
engine in the installation program.
If my application uses VISA, does I have to install separatly the
run-time version of NI-VISA ?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,398 Views)
Yes, the VISA RTE needs to be installed seperately if you intend to use VISA in your program.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,398 Views)
There is a knowlegebase article that discusses the files that need to be included with LabVIEW executables including VISA executables. I found it by searching for "labview executable visa" on the advanced search page: www.ni.com >> support >> advanced search (click on the words--it is at the bottom). This launches a new web page. Be sure to limit your search by checking only the knowlegebase. This is the BEST way to search our web site.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde4322fef19862567740067f3cc/e11297c4eecab110862565a900648083?OpenDocument

Jeremy Braden
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,398 Views)
In past versions, the most compact solution (least bytes) for distributing an application to a virgin (non LV-installed) machine was to let the application builder install LVRT.DLL together with serpdrv and of course the .exe in the same directory.
In my humble opinion, a person that installs software should do the least steps possible.
The advised method of installing the LV runtime, the VISA stuff and finally the application looks strange to me.
The method I described is only possible if you use the old serial vi's.
Note: I have not used the most recent application builder so the most compact method could be different.

Patrick
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,398 Views)