LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA is generated INF that can't be installed in Win10

Hi All

I've generated the INF for my USB controlled which many years successfully used under WinXP & Win7. But I can't use one under Win10 due to generated INF is not signed (see screenshot)!!!

How can it be? The VISA is signed and any USB under VISA also must be signed. Does it mean that any subclass devices under NI VISA are unusable under Win10? Or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 34
(8,003 Views)

Hi OlegUA,

I had this same issue a while back and used this KB to resolve it:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019L9QSAU

It's for Windows 8 but the same steps worked on my Windows 10 PC.

dK
Message 2 of 34
(7,978 Views)

I don't think this is a LabVIEW (or VISA) issue.  Not all devices (or Device Drivers) are compatible with all Operating Systems.  When you plug a new device into your Computer, Windows has to know how to communicate with it, which it does with Device Drivers.  Third-party hardware uses third-party Device Drivers ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 34
(7,964 Views)

Thanks a lot!

It looks like detailed instruction for dummies how to certify any driver 🙂 It is the really useful link, thanks. I'll try it on next computer due to I've resolved it by using workaround that disables checking drivers signature verification by windows command bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 34
(7,951 Views)

wrote:

I don't think this is a LabVIEW (or VISA) issue.  Not all devices (or Device Drivers) are compatible with all Operating Systems.  When you plug a new device into your Computer, Windows has to know how to communicate with it, which it does with Device Drivers.  Third-party hardware uses third-party Device Drivers ... 

You aren't right. Any pseudo-driver generated by the wizard is just subclass the same VISA driver. You don't install any additional .sys, .dll, etc. We're using the same VISA system files every time when windows found specified USB PID that was mapped via .INF. Windows don't have any relations how VISA drivers inside work. 

Best regards,

Oleg

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 34
(7,950 Views)

wrote:

Hi OlegUA,

Hi  sirknoxalot,

Could you say me which version of windows did you use? X86 or X64? I'm always getting the same error about unavailability to store driver. The windows event log contains following:

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: PnPDriverImportError
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: x64
P2: E0000247
P3: ccd_usb.inf
P4: e227708147346477cf1849f2e697a52fc238d6de
P5: 
P6: 
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_x64_4c6db6bf4664d2532c4e68fa7879375c43a5e9b9_00000000_156d58d2

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 47b59009-f8e1-415d-8240-6002ca0fe807
Report Status: 4100
Hashed bucket: 

It seems like that .cat file is mismatch to x64 windows. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 34
(7,899 Views)

Also, I've found this https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/windows_hardware_certification/2016/07/26/driver-signing-changes-in...

As I understood, nobody can use VISA generated drivers in the future. It would be great if authorized people from National Instrument let me an explanation what I have to do with more than 15 years of my work? Do I put all my programs in the trash can? I have several very important devices that are working via VISA USB and I don't know how I will continue to use these devices under Win10 without support from NI. 

I guess that NI can provide the appropriate modification of the Driver Wizard that should generate already signed by NI device drivers. They have all needed certificates that always installed on every machine. Also, I'm sure that such big company as NI already has all specific Microsoft's subscriptions and can provide an easy way to avoid the Extended Validation (EV) Code Signing Certificate for generated drivers.

I hope the NI engineers also read this forum and might be to participate in a discussion.

Regards,

Oleg

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 34
(7,880 Views)

Hi Oleg and all,

NI engineer here. NI is aware of this issue, that beginning with Windows 10 all kernel mode drivers need to be signed by Microsoft. This is a change that Microsoft has implemented and is supposed to make the signing more secure and reduce the risk of code signatures being stolen.

There are two main options to install the driver you create with the Driver Wizard:

1) Certify your driver using the workarounds in the document we've provided, Using a *.inf File from the Driver Development Wizard on Windows 8. While the title says Windows 8, you can follow the same procedure in Windows 10. Note that if you're intending to create and distribute drivers you will almost certainly have to contact a Certificate Authority and pay a fee to certify your driver. If you're creating a driver for personal use you can create a personal certificate to sign the drivers for free.

2) Disable Windows driver enforcement on your computer.

I understand that it may be annoying to have to use workarounds with a new operating system. The issue isn't one of compatibility between VISA and Microsoft, but rather Microsoft's specific decision to drivers to be signed. Unfortunately, the onus is really on Microsoft for implementing this new requirement.

Francine P.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 34
(7,857 Views)

@francine.p

Francine, thanks a lot for participating in this thread.

@francine.p

1) Certify your driver using the workarounds in the document we've provided, Using a *.inf File from the Driver Development Wizard on Windows 8. While the title says Windows 8, you can follow the same procedure in Windows 10. Note that if you're intending to create and distribute drivers you will almost certainly have to contact a Certificate Authority and pay a fee to certify your driver. If you're creating a driver for personal use you can create a personal certificate to sign the drivers for free.

But unfortunately, after latest Windows updates this method is working only when option testsigning is on. So it is just workaround but not solution 😞 now all drivers should be certified by Microsoft.I don't see any other ways... 

And, I've found a more detailed document about signing drivers (see attachment), maybe it also will be useful for someone. 

@francine.p

2) Disable Windows driver enforcement on your computer.

The second way is working very short time and cleaned up after any updates or reboot. If anybody knows how it can be disabled permanently please describe steps here.

Thanks,

Oleg

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 34
(7,836 Views)

Does National Instruments have an update or a solution for resolving this issue with Windows 10 signing that doesn't involve the two options suggested?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 34
(6,784 Views)