From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA invalid reference to a given object

Hey guys - frustration is starting to set in and I can't figure out why my devices continue to disconnect or I keep getting a invalid reference to a given object error.

What this program is supposed to do is to connect to a given COM port and extract data from a hardware device and then place the data into an Excel file. I keep getting a invalid reference on the Mitutoyo MIG4 device. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get rid of this error.

My guess is this is something simple but if someone could take a look at it and see what is up, I would be grateful. Program being used is LabVIEW 2018.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,853 Views)

I notice that you use a blank Control wired to your VISA Configure Serial Port.  Try replacing the Control on the Block Diagram with a Constant (the easiest way to do this is to right-click the Control and choose "Change to Constant" from the Drop-down menu), clicking the little triangle on the Constant, and choosing the VISA Port you are using (e.g. "COM1").  [Note that if you have multiple VISA ports and need to choose one at run-time, you may need to do something a bit more sophisticated].

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,815 Views)

Bob - you are correct. That is a Sub VI and it should get the COM Port information from the VISA wire getting wired into that from the KeyboardWedge.vi (the top level VI).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,803 Views)