LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA error 0xBFFF003A connecting multiple USB devices with same vendor and product ID

Hello,

I have two identical usb mice (razer imperator) that I would like to read raw data from using VISA drivers in windows 10. I have created and installed a signed .inf file for the device using the VISA wizard. When plugging in either mouse one at a time, the driver connects with the mouse fine (i.e. each is visible with a VISA address in MAX, and I can read data using ni visa sys). However, when connecting both mice at the same time, the NI MAX app shows the error 0xBFFF003A. Error description:

viFindRsrc returned 0xBFFF003A (Unable to start operation because setup is invalid (due to attributes being set to an inconsistent state).)

Please make sure VISA is properly installed on this system.

Possible causes for this error:

1. More than one Passport may be attempting to claim the same resource.  You can try disabling Passports to figure out which Passport is causing the error.
  2. You have connected multiple unconfigured plug-and-play devices that have the same resource name. For example, the vendor ID and serial number may be the same.

Both mice are visible in device manager under NI VISA USB devices. It makes some sense that I have this error, as I am trying to connect two devices with the same vendor and product IDs. However, I am not sure how to have VISA assign different VISA addresses to the two devices so that I can read data with both. Should I edit the .inf file created by the visa wizard? The two mice have different instances paths in device manager:

USB\VID_1532&PID_002F&MI_00\7&2508007A&1&0000

USB\VID_1532&PID_002F&MI_00\7&37C1B11F&1&0000

However, the .inf file only uses the VID_1532&PID_002F&MI_00 part of that path. Curiously, the .inf file actually specifies two usb interface numbers, although I cannot understand why there is a "MI_01", nor where it came from during the .inf file creation:

[USBList]

%USB\VID_1532&PID_002F&MI_00.DeviceDesc%=WinUsb_Inst, USB\VID_1532&PID_002F&MI_00

%USB\VID_1532&PID_002F&MI_01.DeviceDesc%=WinUsb_Inst, USB\VID_1532&PID_002F&MI_01

In summary my question is:

• What do I need to do to connect to two usb mice with identical vendor and product IDs using the VISA driver?

If anyone is able to help with this I would be very grateful. I am not exactly sure what is/isn't relevant information to help solve this, so I have attached a document with thorough step by step details + screenshots in the hope that this may provide the necessary context for a solution.

Thanks

Regards,

Jack

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(703 Views)