cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Serial configuration

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I'm trying to run the Simple Serial.vi from the Serial.lvproj from the examples included in LabVIEW 2013. I am trying to connect to the COM1 port on my computer, which shows up on the windows Device Manager.

LabVIEW gives the following error:

"Error -1073807342 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->Simple Serial.vi" with "Possible Reason: VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0012) Invalid resource reference specified. Parsing error."

I installed the VISA version 16 drivers and I can see the com port in the device manager and I can connect (and disconnect) from COM1 using Realterm (serial terminal program). The one thing that seems off is in NI MAX under Devices and Interfaces there is a line with a yellow warning symbol that says "No VISA resources found".

Do serial ports need to appear in NI MAX to be able to be used in LabVIEW? If so is there anything special I should do to get them to appear in MAX? I have a built in serial port as well as a USB serial port and I have been unable to move past this seemingly very simple step of recognizing and connecting to a serial port.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,557 Views)

You should see something like this.  Click on COM1 and Open VISA Test Panel, you can interact with the device on the port.  If the port is not shown, you can right click Serial and Parallel and create a port, making sure that the COM number matches what is shown in device manager.  I would think these are auto-detected anytime a new port is available but maybe not?

Capture.PNG

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,518 Views)

@aputman I thought these would be autopopulated but it appears they are not.

This is what my NI MAX window showed when I made my first post:
Capture.JPG

I right clicked on Devices and Interfaces, clicked create new, then Port(Serial or Parallel) and configured it to COM1 which is a valid com port in my windows device manager and is able to be written to in a serial terminal.

After adding the COM1 port it shows up as the first device under "Devices and Interfaces" but has a red X like the ASRL10::INSTR"LPT1" entry. I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious here, I just want to recognize a serial port that seems to be working fine outside of the LabVIEW environment.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,469 Views)

Hi,

Try reinstalling the NI VISA and reboot. Below is the link.

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-visa-17.0/6646/en/

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,369 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author danielandrews17

Thanks for the help jay0909. I finally got this figured out a couple days ago. There were some Tektronix (I think, I don't remember for sure since I just deleted them when I found them) VISA drivers and programs on my machine that I forgot were there. Removing the Tek stuff and then reinstalling the NI VISA drivers fixed it all.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,355 Views)