LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Runtime Support: Merge module vs. Installer

Hi,

I'm using InstallShield Express to create an installer for a suite of LabVIEW-based executables.

The LabVIEW applications require the use of serial ports, so I need to install some VISA runtime support.

My question is, what level of support does the 'visaruntime.msm' merge module in the LabVIEW distribution kit provide?

Is it directly equivalent to the standalone NI VISA Runtime Installer? If so, which version? The merge module itself is identified as v1.2 when referenced by InstallShield.

A colleague of mine who originated the install script I am working on felt it necessary to invoke the VISA Runtime Installer in the script, in addition to including the VISA runtime merge module. I'm unsure which of these options are essential to provide serial port support on a clean machine without native VISA support.

Any light shed would be appreciated.

Jim P.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,593 Views)
I believe the merge module should have the same components as the VISA RT installer. (The installers are typically built from the merge modules.) However, I've been out of the loop for a while, so my info may be out of date. I recommend using InstallShield or Orca and comparing the component listings of the two entities. You'll probably find them to be identical, or nearly so.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,587 Views)
Hi Jim,
  which version of VISA are you using? I can find the msm's for LabVIEW for VISA 3.1.0, but not for any higher versions so this might not be compatible in the future.
Also, Msvcirt.msm and msvcrt.msm need to be added since the visaruntime.msm is dependent on them.
Personally I would invoke the installer rather than the merge module, since it's easier to remove the software later, or even upgrade with a new visa driver later on.
Also, when you build your LabVIEW executable, which version are you using? You can create an installer for the executable and under LabVIEW 7.1's app builder, there's an advanced button and that has a check box on the dialog box that comes up to install support for serial which only installs the serial portion of visa.

Thanks
Sacha Emery
National Instruments (UK)
// it takes almost no time to rate an answer Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 3
(2,576 Views)