LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Resource Name not recognizing instrument

Hello,

When trying to connect an instrument through an Agilent GPIB-USB adapter I am having some problems getting LabView to communicate. I have installed and recognized the device on the Keysight Connection expert, enabled 488, Tulip, installed NI DAQmx, and made sure to update to the latest version of of NI VISA. Whenever I try to read the VISA address displayed in NI MAX, I get returned an error that the address is wrong. When trying to use the VISA Resource Name control in LabView I am returned with a blank list (not even recognizing the COM ports I have attached). What could be going wrong? I feel like I have nearly every base covered as far as troubleshooting connection but I just cannot get LabView to recognize any VISA addresses.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,859 Views)

Can you post a VI that you made that returns an error along with the exact error code and message?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,839 Views)

It should show up in the drop-down as either the string with GPIB in it, or as your alias "Keithley1". Some drivers just expect the GPIB address as a string, in your case it is "24", so you might need just the number.

As Kyle said, it's always much faster to get help with code attached 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,830 Views)

I've made a quick sample VI to test if I could initialize my instrument. Every time I run the VI, I get no detected VISA aliases (despite having multiple on MAX) and am returned the following error code when trying to connect.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,819 Views)

What is the yellow interrogation point Miscellenous VISA Resource? It's always a bit tricky to have both Agilent VISA and NI-VISA installed on the same PC. If you mainly work with LabVIEW I recommand you install NI-VISA first and then the Agilent (Keysight) VISA as secondary VISA.

EDIT: In the picture where you show an error there is no VISA resource name selected.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,816 Views)

Hi everyone,

faced the same issue. Would love to know whether u have found a solution!

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,492 Views)