LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Read Status Byte Timeout in .exe

Hello all,

I am communicating with a device over GPIB in my labview project.

The code works fine when my project is all VIs (it's a large Actor Framework project), however, when I compile my project to an executable and begin reading from the device, my program always timesout at: "VISA Read STB"

Why? Can anyone shed some light on why I might be timing out on this in the executable version but not on the VI version?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,044 Views)

When you build your exe, enable debugging on the build.  Then you need to run the exe from a remote panel using the Labview menu "Operation" / "Debug Application". 

This will allow you to connect to your exe and run it using a BD to debug.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(991 Views)

Is the executable version running on the same computer as the VI version?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(978 Views)

It turns out that the issue was that on the deployed PC, it was using an old PCIe-GPIB card, which apparently couldn't handle the fast reading?

I was debugging on my "source code" PC with a new USB-GPIB-HS+ and it had no issues. I then went to the deployed PC, used the USB-GPIB, and everything worked fine.

Seems like its time for an upgrade...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(940 Views)

Your "old PC" has PCIe-GPIB, its the GPIB that can't handle the fast reading... PCIe is fast.

I can tell you, USB-GPIB adapter is not supported for a few years now since (I think) LV2016. USB-GPIB HS+ ($1200USD) is supported.  But you say your deployed PC (old or new?) is using USB-GPIB and it worked fine.

Just curious, what USB-GPIB and what LV worked fine?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(931 Views)

I know PCIe is fast, but this was an old PCIe card (and not HS+). It still doesn't make sense to me why it wouldn't work though...

As I said in my previous post, I am using the GPIB-USB-HS+ and it works fine, but not with the PCIe card.

I am using the latest version of LV2020 and I am using this GPIB-USB-HS+.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(893 Views)