LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Configure Serial Port

I've been running labview code that communicates with a device over the com port. This has been working great until I switched converters  from a USB to UART TTL-232-3v3 converter to a ADM00559 USB to UART converter. Now suddenly the VISA Configure Serial port VI gives error code: #1073676420, Property Node (arg 2) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->VISA Configure.vi 

I'm running at baudrate of 115200. I can get rid of the initial visa config error if I put the baudrate to something else, but that doesnt help as I then would be at the wrong baudrate.  

In the device manager the working converter shows up as a "Communications Port" while the one that not works shows up as a "USB Serial Device". Does this affect how VISA Configuration works?

The setup works fine when I use it with other software so it is not a hardware issue. 

Does anyone have any idea of what can be causing this or how to fix it?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,114 Views)

I have been using USB to Serial adaptors for years without issues at 115200 baud. 

Sounds like your USB to Serial adaptor either is not capable of 115200 (unlikely)  or the manufacturer screwed up the driver and it is not acknowledging 115200 baud setting correctly. (more likely)

Try using an adaptor with an FTDI chipset. Preferably an actual FTDI adaptor from FTDI

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,077 Views)

Thanks for the reply!

I do not think it is an issue of a faulty converter as I have several of them, and none work with labview, but all work with other software.

This is the FTDI I have been using previously and it has worked fine, but very slow, both in labview and in other software. 

While using other software I noticed that the program was done 10x faster when using a  MCP2221 instead of the FTDI. (Which is weird as 115200 baud is not close to my  FTDI converters max capacity of 3Mbps) So I thought I should try the MCP2221 out with labview to see if it made a difference there too. But then I hit this issue.

Understand that this maybe isn't easy to help with but would be thankful for any input!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,034 Views)