Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI's memory footprint on disk

Solved!
Go to solution

I performed the Test.

This broke the code in two ways:

One case of an event structure was left without trigger (was: window area: mouse release)

All references to a sub panel disappeared (so presumably the sub panel disappeared).

I fixed it for these numbers:

FP-O: 2712.3K

BD-O: 21547.9K

Code: 3583.0K

Data: 7837.4K

Total: ~35680.5K

On disk: ~6935.4K

Code complexity: 17.4

last compiled: partial comp. optimisation

So BD-O space has gone up considerably, space on disk has gone back down.

Does that point us to the root cause? Can anything be done without messing up the FP?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(1,014 Views)

As a subpanel control doesn't have a terminal, copying the BD will not copy the subpanel control. Place this one on the FP before copying and that should work out.

It seems to me that there could be some caching issue with the original VI on disk.

What about saving the original VI with a new name?

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(1,012 Views)

Thanks for taking the time.

The VI has ~15 other sub panels that survived the BD copy just fine - weird.

Saving under a new name yields the same 12 MB disk footprint.

Best regards,

Florian

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(1,008 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Florian.Ludwig

What about separation of compiled code for a try?

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(1,005 Views)

That should already be the case.

Should I reverse that?

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(998 Views)

Yes. Toggle once, save, check size. Toggle again, save and check size. Does it change? If yes, how?

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(996 Views)

That was it!

Not so much the toggling, but the VI did not have the "separate" checkbox checked.

With the box checked it is 7 MB, without it 12 MB.

Here's what I think happened:

The affected VI was saved under a new name recently. Some time before I had separated all compiled code.

I'm pretty sure I had set the environment option "separate for new files" - but it was not set to on when I just checked.

It either got reset / not saved properly due to a crash of the development system, or I was just wrong and didn't set it (I'm pretty sure I did though).

One more mystery solved. Thanks for taking the time Norbert - I would not have looked at that setting anytime soon on my own.

Edit: I had not set the environment option, but had set separate for new objects in the project properties. Shouldn't that have worked too?

Best regards,

Florian

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(989 Views)

Renaming a VI does not create a new VI (VI Server wise). That means that the new copy of the (existing) VI should have identical settings to the original VI before the renaming.

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(985 Views)

Sorry, I'm not a native speaker and work with a german version of LabVIEW.

What I meant was (translated roughly) using the "save as" dialogue of the VI and selecting "open new copy" with the "add to project" box checked.

Should that retain properties?

If so the code separation must have been turned off in some other fashion - I surely didn't do it manually.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(982 Views)

Without having tested this, i guess that Save As with a new name still ports all settings. Imagine if settings like Execution settings (e.g. reentrancy) got lost...

Maybe someone saw an asterics on the VI, wanted to review List Unsaved Changes and did accidentally misclick without taking a notice. After reviewing the changes, she/he chose to save the VI before selecting Save As to create a new copy....

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(977 Views)