LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Server Port Error on Opening a Project

I've started seeing an error when opening an existing project in LabVIEW 8.0. The dialog immediately pops up with this message:

"The specified VI server port is already in use. the VI server for this project cannot be started."

There doesn't seem to be any problems editing and running part of the code. What is causing this? This computer is only used for development. The entire project runs on another computer. This seems to have started after I installed LabVIEW 8.2 on this development machine. This current project will not be moved to 8.2 until later this year when the final "home" for the project is upgraded to 8.2.

Thanks for any information
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,740 Views)
Does this happen with all projects or just a few projects?  If you create a new empty project do you still get this error?  If you open up your project and right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties", you can view the VI Server properties for your project.  I would check to see if TCP/IP is checked and if so, try unchecking it.  Hopefully this should resolve your issue.

Regards,
Justin D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,724 Views)
Do you have LV 8.2 running in background when trying this? i asume that you already use the port 3363 for LV 8.2 when trying to access it with LV 8.0. Since port are (protected) shared resources, you should get exact this error.
Solution: Disable TCP/IP in the VI-server settings of LV 8.2

hope this helps,
Norbert B.
Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,721 Views)
Justin,
This is the only project on this development machine. No error was generated when I tried an empty (new) project. I went into the "My Computer" properties page of the offending project and unchecked the TCP/IP option. When I clicked "OK" the properties page gave this error (verbatum):

Error 0 occurred at There was a problem applying the options from the General category. The error message is "Invoke Node in prefPage_MyComputer.vi"

This was followed with a list of "Possible reason(s)", all of which were rather cryptic. However, when I reopened the properties page to see if the change "stuck", it was unselected as you suggested. The original VI Server error is no longer being reported when reopening the project. As an aside, this computer has LabVIEW RealTime installed. Early on in the development of this project we had a realtime system attached to this computer as part of the development process. Now the realtime system is installed in the test rig with another host computer, but we are still doing some of the development on this original computer. This may explain why VI Server TCP/IP was originally selected in the project.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,717 Views)

Norbert,

I haven't actively loaded (started) LabVIEW 8.2 prior to starting 8.0. The VI Server error occurs after a fresh computer boot. Any LabVIEW (NI) processes that may be running are all started auto-magically by the default installation settings of 8.2 (or 8.0, or MAX). I had previously accesed the Tools->Options->VI Server:Configuration in the 8.2 "Getting Started" screen and turned off VI Server TCP/IP without satisfactory results.

Thanks anyway!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,714 Views)

I do always get an error if I am starting Labview 8.0 with the TCP/IP option ticked. It doesn't matter which port number I enter, the result is always the "VI Server Port is already in use" error message during start up. I want to install the VI package manager from jkisoft, which need a tcp/ip port to communicate with labview.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,314 Views)

Hello,

Close out of LabVIEW, then try disabling the LabVIEW server connection. Now restart LabVIEW and try opening the project.

National Instruments
RIO Embedded Hardware PSE

CompactRIO Developers Guide
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,283 Views)

Hello,

Any news on how to get rid of this error?

I can't just disable the VI server (using port 3363) because my project is using the VI server.

The port 3363 doesn't seems to be be in use when LabVIEW is not running. I used the fallowing command to check that:

netstat -an |find /i "listening"

When LabVIEW is running, I can see that the port is listed with the mantionned command.

Thanks in advance!

Vincent

Message 8 of 11
(3,190 Views)
Do you see this error under the same conditions as those mentioned above?  For example is it also LabVIEW 8.2?  Does the problem go away if you create a new project?  Do you have multiple versions of LabVIEW installed?  Also, you may want to try simply running the VI server on a different port.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,171 Views)

Hello Burt,

First, thanks for taking the time to answer my post!

I'm currently using LabVIEW 8.6 and I have LabVIEW 8.2 installed on my machine. I did try on a computer with only 8.6 installed and I got the same error message. I also tried to use a different port and the same message is poping me up.

If I create a new project I don't get the error.

Thanks again...

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,149 Views)