From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Server Diagnostics

I am posting this question on behalf of a colleague for the community to comment on.  Thank you!

>>>>>>

I use VI Server to startup VIs that I want to run independently of what I'm doing in the primary VI.

In this case, the primary VI uses VI Server to call a display VI showing the action (touching a button) to the operator that I need them to perform while I monitor the action in the primary VI. When this is done, the display VI is called with VI Server again with its input buffer set to a value that will cause it to close its front panel and exit its While loop.

There are 3 test steps that will run in sequence, each using the same primary VI to test 3 different buttons. Everything is working fine for the 1st step, then I don't get a display for the 2nd and 3rd.

I put together a simple VI to simulate what's being done with the display VI, exclusive of the monitoring stuff. It just loops through the display steps that would be used during the 3 tests. As you might guess, everything works fine here.

Sometimes, I think I run into timing or race issues that cause things to not behave the way I want them to. Can VI Server processing get overloaded? Is there any tool to determine how many VI Server references are open?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.
LV2009 BTW
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,041 Views)

You say you put together a simple VI but never posted any code.  Doing so would help us understand what is going on.

But to try to answer your question about VI Server.  I've never known it to be "Overloaded" or to behave in any way other than expected.  I also don't believe there is a way to know what references are opend.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,030 Views)