From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the for loop iteration number as variable outside loop

I've very little experience with labview, and trying to design a program which generate a signal inside a for loop and each iteration the frequency of the signal is increased, basically I need to be able to use the for loop iteration number (i.e whether it's iteration 1, 2, 3 etc.) to multiply with a step size to add to the initial start frequency. I've tried shift registers etc. but can't seem to get it too work, any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(3,522 Views)

Do you see the little "index" terminal, blue square with "i" inside it on the lower left?  This is the For loop index, starts at 0 and increments by 1 for every loop.  Just wire it ...  This generates an array of even numbers, 0 .. 18.

Evens.png

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(3,510 Views)

I think that code (or very similar) is already placed in at least a dozen of posts, so only a screenshot:

FrequencyStepping.PNG

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 3 of 20
(3,498 Views)
Consider the Ramp Pattern function to create an array of frequencies that you need and just write the array into a for loop.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(3,488 Views)

Thanks for both replies, Norbert your solution was perfect, I had the logic located outside the loop and was getting different kinds of errors etc. but it's working perfect now thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(3,480 Views)

There is also the simple Ramp Pattern VI that you could use to generate your points of interest.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(3,477 Views)

I'll have a look at this and try implement it, thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(3,469 Views)

One final question, I've searched the forums but can't seem to find an answer for a for loop, for testing I'm viewing the generated signal on an oscilliscope, but the loops execute far too quicky to see it, is there any way to hold a loop for a desired amount of time before beginning the next iteration. I've found lots of solutions for while loops.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(3,464 Views)

Put a wait function inside of the For Loop.

Message 9 of 20
(3,455 Views)
Why would the solution for a for loop be any different than a while loop?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(3,438 Views)