LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the build table Vi to build a table of a large array ( about 206 columns by 10500 rows

I am trying to use the "build table" VI to generate a table of large 2D array dbl (206 columns by 105000 rows). labview 64-bit but literally hangs. Thought moving from 32-bit to 64 would sort his out? Probes show that the 2D array is ready just waiting for the table to get built. Any work arounds?

[BADGE NAME]

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,568 Views)

Why are you using Build Table?  I would recommend staying away from Express VIs. 

Do you really need to display that much data in a table?  What do you intend to do with the data?

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,556 Views)

Do not show full array on the front panel. No one will look through 20M points manually.

Keep only one set of data, do not dynamically change its size (NO build array, insert into array, etc), use inlined subVIs. Do not use local variables with these data.

What kind of data are there?If they are continuous, use decimate to reduce display array size. Use array subset for close examination.

Does it make sense to show data as graph or image? 1000 points wide indicator - pick not more than 1000 rows to show.

Do you need double (15!! digits )? Are all these digits valid? If not, use single precision. 1 uV precision with 1 V range is usually more than enough

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,549 Views)
Ultimately my application requires that I generate all points, not necessarily on a table on the front panel but at least as a spreadsheet file. I have decided to try writing to spreadsheet and I just hope it doesn't turn out to be the same issue. My initial idea was to display the table on the front panel as well, so the user has the option of "exporting data to excel" I have already adjusted the precision to 6 digits but that didn't make a difference.

[BADGE NAME]

Message 4 of 8
(3,542 Views)

It is fine to have data 20M samples = 80 or 160 MB array as data. Just do not make extra copies of it.

You can still have a button "Export to CSV", you do not need to have array on front panel for that. But if you use just array to spreadsheet file, it will convert full array to string that has double-triple size. So write file row by row - Open file before for loop, then in the loop convert one row to text, write to text file, close file after loop.

>> I have already adjusted the precision to 6 digits but that didn't make a difference

Have you changed display format or data type?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,511 Views)
Thanks Alexander i have already sorted this out using "write to measurement file" and selecting the excel output file format option. Data necessarily has to be DBL

[BADGE NAME]

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,507 Views)

@blessedk wrote:
Thanks Alexander i have already sorted this out using "write to measurement file" and selecting the excel output file format option. Data necessarily has to be DBL

If you want double, don't use the Excel output on Write to Measurement. See this post.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,493 Views)
Yeah you are right. I don't need up to 15 digits though. The precision is set to 6 digits.

[BADGE NAME]

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,488 Views)