From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using queues with Teststand

Hi,
I'm new to using Teststand,I have created some sequences for my application and since my application involves data transfer from one sequence to another,I'm thinking of handling it through queues(presently i'm using StationGlobals for it).Is there any guide or sample programs for using queues in Teststand so that i can handle my data transfer efficiently and one more question is since my application requires execution of Multiple sequences parallely,i'm using a "SetThread Priority(15)" and running both the sequences by calling Wait function.Is there any alternate way of handling this efficiently.A suggestion for this also will be helpful....

Cheers
Murali
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,860 Views)

Hi,
    While there are undoubtedly a number of people that look at both forums, you will probably get a quicker answer to your question if it is posted on the TestStand forum, rather than the LabVIEW one.

P.M.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,850 Views)

Hi murali_vml,

Queues in TestStand are used to pass data between processes. For example, a thread that performs tests asynchronously with respect to the Main sequence might use a queue to receive commands from the Main sequence.  Page 247/323 in the TestStand Reference manual discusses queues and the available properties. (Locate the TestStand Reference manual by browsing to Start >> All Programs >> National Instruments >> TestStand 3.1 >> Online Help >> TestStand Bookshelf >> Concepts and Techniques (Page 2 of 7) >> TestStand Reference Help).  There is also an example of using queues located at C:\Program Files\National Instruments\TestStand 3.1\Examples\Synchronization\QueueDemo.seq. 

Also, here is a list of a couple of similar forums. (Forum 1, Forum 2 (Good example located at the end of the forum), Forum 3).

Also, for list a queue functions, see the TestStand Help file located at Start >> All Programs >> National Instruments >> TestStand 3.1 >> Online Help >> TestStand Help >> Index Tab (type queue).

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,833 Views)
Hi murali_vml,

You use the Set Thread Priority operation to raise or lower the priority of the current thread.  Using the Wait function is fine and a correct way of handling threads. You also have the other synchronization step types that you could use when controlling threads. See the TestStand Help file for details on each step type.  Also, look into the shipping examples located at C:\Program Files\National Instruments\TestStand 3.1\Examples. Specifically, look at the Synchronization, ExecutingCodeModulesInParallel, and ExecutingSequencesInParallel. These examples should give you a good idea of the correct method and flow of using the wait function as well as other synchronization steps. 

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,829 Views)