LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using labview to control a game

I'd like to get my Labview Project to work with windows in such a way that it acts as a game controller, specifically a steering wheel. I don't think there is a function I can call to do this. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,981 Views)

See if any of this gives you anything useful.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,977 Views)

I think they refer to devices connected to a computer? I want my VI to BE the controller. In effect i need to use labview to spoof a conventional steering wheel controller

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,974 Views)

What's wrong with looking at the Numeric Controls and sizing up a Dial?  I don't think they do multiple turns, however ...  [This can't be what you are asking -- it is much too obvious, but I can't think of anything else ...].

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,957 Views)

I wish that were what I was asking...

I'm using a rotary encoder to get a value, doing some processing on it and then I'd like to send that to a game.

I'd like to create a VI that emulates a steering wheel. It needs to be able to be interpreted by windows as a game controller so that i can use it to control a racing simulation.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,954 Views)

i can't think of a software-only solution unless you had a developer kit for the game engine that provided software hooks into the game.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,936 Views)

Well, if you look at a Game Controller or a Joystick Controller, at one level they are simple switch contacts (the buttons on a Game Controller) or potentiometers (steering wheels, whatever-you-call-those-move-in-circles things on Controllers).  If you took one apart and hooked its innards up to a Digital I/O device and an A/D, and provided it with power (probably coming from its USB cable or from batteries), you could read the Controls.  Somewhere along the line, the button pushes and analog signals get morphed into something that travels over the USB cable (or wireless) and ultimately talks either DirectInput or XInput to Windows.

I would not want to try to do this!  Too many different protocols to juggle, almost none of which have anything really to do with LabVIEW.

Bob Schor

Message 7 of 8
(2,930 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Well, if you look at a Game Controller or a Joystick Controller, at one level they are simple switch contacts (the buttons on a Game Controller) or potentiometers (steering wheels, whatever-you-call-those-move-in-circles things on Controllers).  If you took one apart and hooked its innards up to a Digital I/O device and an A/D, and provided it with power (probably coming from its USB cable or from batteries), you could read the Controls.  Somewhere along the line, the button pushes and analog signals get morphed into something that travels over the USB cable (or wireless) and ultimately talks either DirectInput or XInput to Windows.

I would not want to try to do this!  Too many different protocols to juggle, almost none of which have anything really to do with LabVIEW.

Bob Schor

I guess that's why [insert your deity/deities/intelligent energy force of choice here] invented firmware.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,929 Views)