LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using error codes.txt and error rings don't allow parameter inputs like custom error rings?

Solved!
Go to solution

The error ring is very useful, especially with its parameterized inputs you can specific with %s, %f and %d parameters.  I'd like to do the same thing in my fixed error codes using the error ring so that I can localize them into mulitple languages, but it seems that LabVIEW error codes from project text files never detect or support the parameter inputs, you get a error ring, but no input parameters.  If you use the same string in a customer error code, it gives you the parameter input but then its hardcoded and you can't localize it.  What gives?

Is there some other way to configure the error rings to use a project file for the error codes but still support the parameter inputs?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,344 Views)

Hi Mike_King

Here is a VI snippet that I created with two different approaches, in the first one I used the format into string, the second one the function search and replace.

Here are some links with information about the functions that I used.

Format Into String Function - LabVIEW 2011 Help

Search and Replace String Function - LabVIEW 2011 Help

Regards

Esteban R.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,293 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike_King

Thanks Esteban but I think you are confusing what I'm asking about.  The error ring is for handling custom error codes.  Built in ones in the project error files cannot take parameters, while custom ones can.  See my screenshot.

Error Rings.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,276 Views)

Mike,

Yeah, that doesn't work.  It would be pretty sweet though!  Have you posted it to the Idea Exchange?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,270 Views)