LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using call by reference node with exes

I'm having a little trouble calling a vi using the "call by reference node".

I call a sub vi from a main vi using the "call by reference node"

There are a number of different sub vi's that can be used, Sub1.vi, sub2.vi etc.

To call the sub vi, I open a vi reference using the "Open IV reference", where I wire a type specifier refnum and the sub vi path.

This all works in the dev environment.

When I build the main application (Main.exe) and the sub vi's as applications (Sub1.exe, Sub2.exe...etc) I would still be able to call the sub vi's dynamically by specifying the name in the path as   [directory]\Sub1.exe\Sub1.vi   or [directory]\Sub2.exe\Sub2.vi

I even had a little vi that would automatically work out the correct path.

This all worked fine in LV6 and 7.

I used the approach because it allowed me to build an application (Main.exe) that could use "plug-ins" (Sub1.exe, Sub2.exe etc) that could be independently installed and updated without having to update the main application, for example different customers could be given different sets of "plug-ins". 

Now LV 8x (I'm using 8.6) has changed the way that .exes are constructed I'm having difficulty calling the Sub.vi's using the "call by reference node".

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message Edited by brianinthesnow on 07-01-2009 06:54 AM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,470 Views)

This KB is what you are looking for....

hope this helps,

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,462 Views)

Thanks Norbert,

Very helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,443 Views)