From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using both, LabVIEW 32-bit and 64-bit

Hi Guys,

I have a requirement where I have to interface with a camera using LabVIEW 64-bit (because the dll provided is for 64-bit system). At the same time, I have to communicate with several variables via OPC Server using LabVIEW DSC, which is only available in 32-bit. I was told that I cannot run one same program but utilizing LabVIEW 32 and 64 bit simultaneously. Hence, I would like some advice, especially on the architecture, on how should I approach this.

Advices are much appreciated.

Shazlan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,717 Views)

Are you sure that you can't have a 32-bit compatible dll for your camera? It would really make your life easier.

Also if you only use the DSC module for the OPC function, maybe you could look for a different set of OPC functions that support 64-bit.

In the end if you really have not choice but to use DSC module and use the 64-bit dll for the camera, you will need to apps, one in LV32 and one in LV64 and you will have to decide which one is the main one and find a way to communicate between them, TCP comes to mind, also VIServer, I have never tried VIServer between a LV32 app and a LV64 app but my bet is that it should work seamlessly.

Good luck!

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,700 Views)

Hi TiTou,

Thank you for your reply. I've talked to the camera guy and he said that I have to use LabVIEW 64-bit since the dll for Windows 7 64-bit is only available in 64-bit version. So 64-bit all the way. Hmm, since I will be using NI OPC server, the function that I need from DSC module is the I/O server. How can I find out which functions is available for 64 bit? 

Yeah, TCP came to my mind also. I am hoping somebody here may be able to advice an easier way, if there's any. Hmm, thinking aloud, can I use shared variable?

Shazlan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,663 Views)

I've never used NI OPC Server nor shared variables.

The DSC module is not native 64-bit, none of it so if you use it it will have to be from LV 32bit.

Shared variables, as far as I know, is encapsulated TCP so my assumption is that they can be used to communicate between a LV 32-bit and a LV 64-bit app, but maybe I'm just plain wrong, it's probably worth investigating.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,656 Views)