LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an external Clock with NI 6585

I have an interface board connected to a TI ADS6444 Evaluation board (QUAD serializer ADC), in turn plugged into my NI 6585/PXI-7954R, see the Project Screen shot. I can acquire data using internal clock but now I want to switch to an external clock. First I want to get the external clock working then do the unserializing. I am quite new to LabVIEW FPGA. I get a variety of errors such as " The Read method for IO Module\DDCA_Data_Rd_Rise is used in a clock domain that does not support it. The supported clock domain is "IO Module Clock 0". To change the frequency of the supported clock domain, launch the properties dialog for the CLIP item in the LabVIEW project and choose the "Clock Selections" page." I have tried to configure the clock to fixed and variable frequencies, see clock properties screen shot. Thanks in advance.
LeMur Technology Services, LLC
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,864 Views)

Update

Opened a service request. for this problem.  Talked it over with NI engineer and thought the problem was because I disn't have the latest and greatest software versions e.g. RIO and LabVIEW.  Compiled a blank VI using the DDC connector and comilied successfully.  No matter what I do if I do a FPGA I/O Node call to DDCA_Data_RD_RISE (or fall) I get the error: "The Read method for IO Module\DDCA_Data_Rd_Fall is used in a clock domain that does not support it. The supported clock domain is "IO Module Clock 0".  To change the frequency of the supported clock domain, launch the properties dialog for the CLIP item in the LabVIEW project and choose the "Clock Selections" page." 

For grins I wired the FPGA I/O node Expected I/O module ID to the FIFO input and read a number (7488[HEX]). 

Begining to suspect the NI 6585 CLIP has a bug?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,828 Views)

Hi Glemunyan, 

Here is a document that should walk you through using the external clock.  

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7958A6FA2ABDB84A862575910079B926?OpenDocument

It pertains to all 658x series modules and I'll be working on updating it.  Let me know if this helps. 

Thanks, 

Dave T.

National Instruments
FlexRIO & R-Series Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,808 Views)

I should clarify that this pertains to MOST 658x devices.  There are some slight differences with modules like the 6587, but it does pertain to the 6585.  

Thanks, 

Dave T. 

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,799 Views)

Resolved!  Mike S. who was handling with my SR was able to duplicate the error.  I needed to use a timed loop instead of a while loop.  Of course this makes perfect sense in hind sight.   

Thanks Dave T. for your input it is a relevant document. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,791 Views)

Hi Glemunyan, 

That's good news.  I'm glad Mike was able to help.  

One more thing I want to note is that there are examples for each device when you download the NI FlexRIO Adapater Module Support. 

Once installed, the examples are added to the example finder. 

The download can be found here

Thanks, 

Dave T.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,787 Views)