LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an IP address of 0.0.0.0

I am attempting to move an application from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have a requirement that my system has an IP address of 0.0.0.0 upon power up and requests an IP address.  I was able to do this under Windows 7 using an open source network routine Nmap.  Under Windows, 10 the request never appears on the target, as if the windows 10 OS prevents its transmission.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,189 Views)

I wonder if your system is trying to use DHCP to request an IP from a DHCP server.  Do you know (when your Windows 7 kludge got you an IP) if the IP was of the form 169.254.x.x?  If so, it suggests you (were) trying to contact a DHCP server, none was found, so you were assigned an Automatic Private IP Address.  Is this your Primary Ethernet port, or a second port?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,141 Views)

Your post contains too little (and too confusing) information to really help.

So your system seems to be configured to automatically obtain an IP address from a DHCP server. I am assuming that by your "system", you mean the windows computer. (Or is your "system" an embedded device you are trying to communicate with?)

Nmap is primarily a network scanner, not a tool to assign IP addresses. Can you clarify what you are actually doing? 

• Define what you mean by "system"
  • Define what you mean by "target"
  • Define what you mean by "transmission"
  • What else is on that network (dhcp server, etc.)
  • etc.

Maybe you can draw a diagram of your setup. Could it be a firewall issue?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,076 Views)