Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a format into string to output multiple values in each column

Solved!
Go to solution

@etvg wrote:

There isn't really a purpose,

That's what I thought. One potential "band-aid purpose" is the path control. If it is not in the sequence as shown, it might get read before the operator has a chance to enter the right value. However if this is an issue, it might point to other potential architectural problems instead. 😉

Hard to tell without seeing the entire code...

(Often sequence structures are overused, limiting the compiler into a straight-jacket  of forced serialization where things could be done in parallel otherwise.)

Message 11 of 14
(455 Views)

If you want to look at the code I believe attached it to my second post on this thread, it starts with LIdA3. Thanks for the tip though, I'm relatively new to LabVIEW so everything that will save me headache in the future is valuable information. 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(451 Views)

I am not sure that I have time to look at the full code at the moment, but it seems highly unsafe to accumulate all data in a tunnel and write everything at the end. If the computer would crash (power failure, OS issue, etc.) or the file IO would fail (e.g. accidentally select an location that is not writeable, or some other illegal path entry) all data stored in the autoindexing output tunnel is permanently lost. It would be significantly safer to open the file and write the header once before the loop and then append data as it arrives inside the loop. (or use a consumer/producer system if the loop speed is critical). Only close the file once the loop has finished. Currently, you could even run into memory issues because the data in the tunnel grows without limits if the while loop would never stop for some reason.Having large and growing data structures is never efficient.

Just some thinking points. 😄

Message 13 of 14
(441 Views)

Thanks for the pointer! 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(438 Views)