From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Write Multiple Element To Stream - want to send mixture of data types

@WRB wrote:

Hi Bob, 

I notice that if I read more frequently than I write, the read yields an empty string array (in my test application, both read and write operations are in their own independent while loops).  I assume that once data is read, the buffers holding the data are automatically cleared.  To avoid this situation, I could ignore reads when the read yields an empty string array.  But, is it possible to sense that data is available before executing a read?  

Yes (and no).  It depends a bit on your circumstances.  I have some data that need to be processed relatively promptly, but that aren't always "present" (I have an "Event" stream that fires when a User presses a Button, a State Machine changes State, a Digital Line goes high or low, etc.).  I do the Stream Read with a TimeOut of 500 ms -- if TimeOut is False, there's data in them thar Streams, so I enqueue it to the Consumer of Event Data.  Otherwise, I ignore it and go back for another (possible half-second) wait.  I get to have my Cake (fast response when data are present) and Eat it, Too (not get "hung up" if data are not present, so I could exit the Loop if necessary, or not have to "spin" checking for the presence of data).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 11
(233 Views)