LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using VISA to monitor a local port on Windows

Hi...

Is is possible to use VISA the open and then monitor a TCP/IP port on the local pc

a visa resouse of   TCPIP::localhost::2055::SOCKET   comes up with the error
 "VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system."

Using the LabVIEW TCP/IP Socket functions work fine, but i want to do it with VISA

does anyone know how the get VISA to monitor a socket on the local PC ???

thanks
Ray
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,373 Views)

Hey Rambo,

For TCP/IP with VISA, normally you need to set it up, and it's usually instrument depedant. I was curious how come you're interested in doing it with VISA, and not just ports alone.

Have you had a chance to look at alternative methods? just go to help->Find examples... in labVIEW, and type TCP to find examples.

Regards,

Nick D.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,336 Views)
hi...

i want to use VISA because VISA allows the same application to talk over Com ports and TCP/IP with out any modifications (the only difference is the resource string used), VISA also allows GPIB and VXI which i don't require

I have looked at the examples, and actually have use the master (TCP/IP drivers) routines running on another pc to test my VISA routines

regards
Ray  
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,327 Views)
Hey Rambo,

Do you happen to have a device attached, and are you setting up the VISA TCP resource as shown in the picture?

Regards,

Nick D.

Message Edited by Nick D on 06-26-2007 06:39 PM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,302 Views)
hi...

this method allows you to assign a VISA resource to a remote device...

what i am looking for is how to use VISA to monitor and talk to a port on my pc (localhost)  
   eg: the resource "TCPIP::localhost::10000::SOCKET" generates an creation error

regards
Ray
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,295 Views)

Hey Rambo,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Just to listen to a port, VISA will not be able to be used in that case. VISA is more for instrument communication, and if you just want to monitor the port, the best thing to recommend would be use the TCP examples, to accomplish sending messages, and listening to messages on specific ports.

Like in the NI-VISA Overview Visa is for Virtual Instrument Software Architecture.

The best thing I can recommend is to use the following examples if you would like to accomplish what you're requesting.

Message Edited by Nick D on 06-27-2007 08:34 PM

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,271 Views)