LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using C++ / VB with labVIEW components?

Dear All,

I'm still a novice in LabVIEW and actually given up on the software and their components - mainly because of their lukewarm support over here in Asia. However, I have demands on such usage. My question is that, can I use non-LabVIEW controllers with the labVIEW software? Such as those components like ADLINK TECHNOLOGY, ADVANTECH, NUDAM, PHOENIX CONTROL? Can labVIEW be used to control those components?

My intention is to not waste the investment that I have spent on LabVIEW, by going for their training and use the software on other much more cost effective components. Some of the parts in NI are too expensive.

Also, on the same note vice versa, can we use C++ .net or VB language to program LabVIEW components? This question is to prepare for on event if I really cannot use labVIEW to achieve what I want, the current labVIEW hardware, can I use Visual Studio and do my own coding from basics? What will I need? additional driver?

I really need advice and help on above by all veterans here since I am not getting much technical support over here, only have the sales to keep calling on me to buy additional items. Smiley Sad

Thanks a million!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,648 Views)

Hi cfp,

Yes, you can use Labview to call non-LV functions.

Typically, they are dll's which are called using the "Call Library Function Node", under the Advanced menu of the Functions palette (in the block diagram).  With the appropriate LV development package, you can also create LV dll's which can be called by some other program. 

Depending on the Labview version that you have, there is also dot net (.NET) support. They are located from the block diagram, in the Functions Palette, under Communication.  (In LV 7.1)

Hope this helps,

JLV

Message 2 of 5
(2,641 Views)
I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy with LabVIEW and/or the support your getting, but I'll try to give you some help on your question.

As Joe pointed out, calling from LV to non-LV has many possible paths.

If you want to reverse the call, then you have a few options.

1. Build your LV code into a DLL and call it as any other "C style" DLL. From .NET, you'd use a P/Invoke call.
  2. Use the ActiveX Server interface. This lets you load and run VI's through a MS COM interface, or .NET by using .NET's support for COM. Check out examples/comm and look at the .xls and .vb examples there. The interface is also fully documented in the LV docs.
  3. Look at Measurement Studio. This doesn't involve LV at all, but provides a set of .NET components.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,633 Views)

Thanks a million. I will try and figure out this.

Really disappointed that LV / NI is providing this type of service, disillusioned with the products actually but since already have 1 foot stuck in, might as well stick thru it and see what good makes out. I totally cannot count on the technical support here anymore, I can only depend on this forum. Really very grateful to all of you here.

Thank you again!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,622 Views)

Hi cfp,

Don't give up just yet on Labview.  This place is a great place for learning.  And many (if not all) of us have started off with very little knowledge, so we understand where you're coming from.

I have found that NI has been extremely supporting, actually more than my expectations.  However, this forum has been and remains the best place for learning.  And afet many years of using LV, I am still learning from this forum.

I program in other languages, as a matter of fact, I now work with LabWindows-CVI (ANSI-C'ish).  I am still very active in this forum because I find Labview to be a fantastic tool.  Once you get to learn & understand LV, it is difficult to go back (to other languages).  And you'll be amazed at how much support you actually get from NI & this forum. 

LV does more than automate test equipment.  For instance, check out the "Tic-Tac-Toe Coding Challenge" at this link:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=184844

Don't give up.  And have fun wiring!  🙂

JLV

Message 5 of 5
(2,611 Views)