LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User event - data as simple cluster (no clusters within) arrives unbundled...

Hi, Everyone:

When I generate a user event with a simple cluster as an input (with no clusters inside), the event data node unbundles it for me.  I would like it to be bundled so I don't have to re-bundle it just to send it into a subVI.  The only way I know of to do this is to send it as a variant, and use Variant to Data to change it back.  It seems to me to be a waste of CPU cycles to do this just to have an unbundled wire, and re-bundling is just a waste of space.  (Imagine, let's say, a bundle of 32 booleans representing some flags.  Thankfully, my data is just an error cluster.)

LV 2014 SP1.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,865 Views)

This has annoyed me as well.  Would like to have the option to get the full cluster or parts.  You should probably go search the Idea Exchange to see if this has come up yet.  If not, make a new idea to have this fixed.

But another solution would be to put your cluster inside of a cluster and use that to send the message.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 4
(2,850 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

This has annoyed me as well.  Would like to have the option to get the full cluster or parts.  You should probably go search the Idea Exchange to see if this has come up yet.  If not, make a new idea to have this fixed.

But another solution would be to put your cluster inside of a cluster and use that to send the message.

I was thinking about "cluster inside a cluster" also.  Thank you for the input.  I shall about the idea exchange, and if the idea already exists, I'm considering creating new accounts just to kudo the darned thing.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,817 Views)

Here is the link to the original idea:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Allow-Dynamically-Registered-User-Events-to-preserve-N...

It seems that this approach was taken so that, in the event of multiple events for that case, it could return the common elements.  it would be nice to extend the event node to have a bundled option, too.  That way it won't break existing code.  But it's getting a bit complicated and hairy now, which is probably why it hasn't been implemented.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,809 Views)