From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a unique encoder signal to create six trigger signals

Hello

The task I am attempting is to monitor an encoder signal and create six trigger signals for each encoder cycle.  

To be more descriptive, my encoder is a hall effect sensor on a inline six engine head that monitors the position of the camshaft.  The signal that it outputs is a 0 to 5 volt signal to which each revolution consists of 3 wide pulses followed by 3 thin pulses.  These 6 pulses show the valve timing of the 6 cylinders of the engine head.  What I am wanting to do with this is to respond to each revolution by outputting six short 0-5 volt ignition pulses.  Now, each ignition signal would need to be delayed such that they would line up in the right firing order.

My original thought was to count the three wide pulses followed but sending six square waves for each ignition signal,  Each square wave would have a different phase delay to meet my needs.  Unfortunately, this did not work and I am at a loss at what I should do.  Any suggestions on programming or hardware would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,090 Views)

Hello Dynopin,

Do you have any timing specifications?

Do you already possess certain hardware?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,079 Views)

Hello Thierry

The maximum rotational frequency of the camshaft will be 60 Hz.  So I will need to monitor those 6 pulses within that 16.67 ms period.

As for hardware, I am currently equipped with the following

PXI Chassis:  PXIe-1065

Analog Output: PXI-6733 (Qty: 2)

Low Speed AI:  PXI-6224 (Qty: 2)

High Speed AI:  PXI-6133 (Qty: 3)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,073 Views)

Hi Dynopin,

I want to make sure I understand your application correctly before I make a suggestion. You are looking to monitor the encoder that is outputting a 5 Volt signal that is three long pulses followed by three short pulses. Each individual pulse in the six volt pulse train corresponds to a complete revolution of the corresponding cylinder. You would like to respond to the individual pulses by outputting six five volt pulse to be used as ignition pulses. What is the delay you are looking to have between the individual ignition pulses? How long after you receive the encoder pulses do you need to send the ignition pulses?

Regards,

Josh B.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,050 Views)