cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Griffin PowerMate in LabVIEW?

Hi JeffG,

Can you post your VI?
How did you get it to work in LV 8.6? 

The VISA Driver Wizard just gives me the error because the device reports that it is only USB 1.0, but the Driver Wizard needs 1.1 or 2.0.

Brian Smith
Advanced Light Source
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,567 Views)

Hi JeffG and BVSmith,

It is important to know that the drivers for Windows XP and Windows 7 are not the same.  The architecture of the OS's are different and require different drivers.  It is possible that the Windows 7 drivers from PowerMate report that the device is USB 1.0 instead of 1.1+.  Or, the Windows XP drivers report it as USB 1.1+ instead of 1.0.  Looking at the website, it doesn't specify what USB spec it is (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate)

Che T.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(1,549 Views)

No, I have Windows XP and it is reporting that it is USB 1.0.

JeffG says he got it working in Windows XP, where I cannot because the VISA Driver Wizard won't let me (it being  USB 1.0).

I would like to see JeffG's VI so I can use it too. I don't have a solution for him and Windows 7 😞

Brian Smith
Advanced Light Source
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,547 Views)

Did you get the PowerMate working in WinXP or Win7?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,150 Views)

No, I gave up long ago 😞

We only use it with its driver that produces keystrokes when rotating, pressing it.

Brian Smith
Advanced Light Source
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(1,140 Views)

Thanks.  For your solution, the amount of keystrokes = the distance that the knob has been turned, correct?  

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(1,127 Views)

Yes, one character per "step".  I can't remember how large (fraction of a turn) a "step" is.

You can also send a character when it is pushed down, and pushed and turned, etc.

Brian Smith
Advanced Light Source
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(1,118 Views)

Excellent.  I bet the number of keystrokes per rotation (i.e. the "step" size) can be set in the PowerMate configuration ("sensitivity"?).  

Looks like this is the one to buy.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,108 Views)

Glad to help!

Brian Smith
Advanced Light Source
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,099 Views)

A few lessons that I've learned.

The powermate keystrokes always set a ScanCode of 0 (since they are not actually keyboard presses).  This is helpful if you map the powermate to a key like "PageUp" and but still want normal "PageUp" functionality if the user presses it on the keyboard.

There is some lag if you use the F keys (like F22) and don't discard the key press.  This is a problem if a .vi or block diagram window that doesn't code intersepting the key strokes is active when the knob is turned.

If your powermate code is located in one .vi and you would like that code to respond to the knob even if another .vi has focus, you can dynamically register for events on the other subvi :

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/dynamic_register_event/

Register for events.png

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,078 Views)