From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Issue

Hello everyone,

I come with this topic to present my recent issue in upgrading from LabVIEW 2015 to LabVIEW 2017.

Currently I am developing a RT Application using GOOP and Actor Framework.

The application was running smoothly in LabVIEW 2015, once I fixed many of the issues with memory, but after upgrade all my software to 2017, the application is behaving in a strange manner. (An actor recording data to TDMS and text file is eating up memory on every run)

I would like your help to point out the main topics in LabVIEW 2017 that are different from 2015. In this way, I could look more specifically into the behavior of some VI's or functions.

Thanks.

P.S. By the way, I did not upgrade, I am doing some tests to check the viability of the upgrade, so far not good

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,509 Views)

Your Mileage May Vary.  When I installed LabVIEW 2017 on two of my Windows 10 PCs, both computers got messed up so badly that (a) I could not successfully "go back" to the previous installation (I tried uninstalling all NI Software, then reinstalling LabVIEW 2016, my "go-to" Version), and (b) other related software started misbehaving.  As I was deep in LabVIEW Development and needed at least a working LabVIEW 2016, I ended up reformatting both of these PC's C: drive, reinstalling Windows, and reinstalling everything else except LabVIEW 2017 (and any "2017" Features).  When LabVIEW 2017 SP1 comes out, I may (cautiously) try another installation on one of these PCs, after doing a full backup.

I know that some users are clearly able to install and use LabVIEW 2017.  But there are others (such as I) who report problems once 2017 has been installed.  This may be due to additional Toolkits and Modules (I use Vision and LabVIEW RT), but such "installation woes" are notoriously difficult to document and reproduce (I spent about a week doing a step-by-step installation, pinpointing the step where a third of the NI Services stopped running, never to return -- NI reported they were able to duplicate my situation, and a week later, reported that they no longer could see the failure ...).

My advice is to cross your fingers, say a prayer, open Control Panel, find NI Software, and "Remove All".  Once it finishes, reboot.  Go back into Control Panel, look for NI "Hangers-on", such as JKI (VIPM), VISA, IVI, etc.  Remove/Uninstall them.  Reboot.

Install LabVIEW 2015.  Install LabVIEW 2015 Drivers (do not install the "latest Drivers").  Reboot.  Do not let NI Update take you "beyond" LabVIEW 2015 (one of my documented Install failures came during an NI Update).

If all else fails, you may have to do what I did -- Format C:, Install Windows, Install Other Software, Install LabVIEW 2015.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,492 Views)