cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode property nodes

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm struggling with the implementation of Unicode in an application.

The main issue holding me back is:

Although I have added UseUnicode=True to my LabVIEW.ini (currently using LV2011 SP1) I cannot create the necessary property nodes such as "BoolText.InterpAsUnicode".

I have checked the display Vi scripting in the vi server options and restarted LabVIEW to no avail.

Does anyone know what this is about?

Regards Florian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,728 Views)

Hi Florian,

Thank you for your post. 

I have been working with Unicode for a while now and as a warning; the functionality of it changes a LOT between different versions of LabVIEW without much warning (Unicode is not currently officially supported, and so isn't all that stable). Be prepared to encounter other problems!

Back to your specific question - I have been having the same issue using LV 2011 SP1, this property node doesn't seem to be available. R&D know about this issue.

As for a workaround, have you downloaded this Unicode toolkit (https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-10153)? If you download 'LV_Unicode-115-lv2009', it has some functions such as 'Update Boolean' which will work. I'm not how they set the 'Interpret as Unicode' property though, because most of their VIs are password protected!

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Eden S
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,717 Views)

Hi Eden,

thanks for answering and thanks for the warning - I had read that somewhere before.

I have indeed already downloaded this toolkit. They use property nodes in there (there is a version for LV2009 which is not password protected). In fact I can even copy their nodes into my code.

Unfortunately this toolkit doesn't treat tab control captions as I would like it to. They look as if they're not set to display Unicode so I thought I could set the property myself - looks like I can't.

On another unfortunate note I currently cannot use LabVIEW 2012 because of issues it causes with some of my projects.

I fear I'm facing a dead end here. I'm surrounded by walls of bugs! Smiley Wink

Regards Florian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,715 Views)

Hi Florian,

Thanks for that, that was the folder I was using but didn't realise I already had the locked version open in memory so it was opening that one instead >.<

It's not much of a workaround, but could you use string indicators placed to look like captions? At least this way you will get the Unicode support..

If you have any questions to ask regarding the issues you're seeing with LabVIEW 2012 please don't hesitate.

Best regards,

Eden S
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,710 Views)

Hi Eden,

thanks for the interest.

I've contacted local NI support about the LabVIEW 2012 issue and they said they would escalate it to the developers. That was almost a month ago - maybe they're working on it, I haven't heard from them since then. I just wrote them an e-mail asking for progress or a way to track progress on the issue.

Here is the short version of my problem:

In some of my projects I can no longer create installer builds to distribute my applications. The error message says the preview failed, and indeed creating a preview of the exe required for the installer fails (although creating the preview by pressing the preview button in the exe built works ONCE after a restart of LabVIEW 2012 and after that fails every time - weird).
The error message for the preview says it can't find certain files like "Clear Errors.vi" or "Get Text Rect.vi". The nonsensical path where LV looks for these files reads "C:\Program Files (x86)\utilitySD\build\2012\Core\LVEnglish\vi.lib\Utility\error.llb\".

I tried everything local support could advise (even if I had already tried that myself): Repair LV installation, mass compile, check LV lookup folders in the options...

When nothing worked they sent it to the devs.

Regards

Florian

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,704 Views)

Hi Florian,

That is strange, especially as those VIs are part of LabVIEW Base anyway, it should have no problem locating them. As you have contacted Support again regarding your Service Request I think it would be best to discuss this with them for now. However if you have further questions for me after speaking to them I'll be happy to help.

Best regards,

Eden S
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,686 Views)

Hello again,

I just had a look at the property nodes in LV2012 (although my issue is not resolved) to see if it would work there once I can move on to 2012. I can't select BoolText.InterpAsUnicode in LV2012 either.

And no, I did not forget to insert UseUnicode=True into the LV2012 ini file and restart it as well. Any suggestions?

Regards Florian

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,658 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Florian.Ludwig

Hi Florian,

I cannot find this property node in LV 2012 either. From the developer notes, this is a regression that is occurring in all versions past, I think, 2009. I know this must be frustrating - Unicode + LV = Smiley Frustrated

Best regards,

Eden S
Applications Engineer
Message 8 of 8
(3,651 Views)