LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to debug a VI with a custom run-time menu

I'd never noticed this until after a colleague pointed it out to me, but it doesn't seem possible to debug an executable if it has a custom run-time menu. I've done a little testing, and that seems to be the case. Even if "Show Panel or Diagram" in the menu, there doesn't seem to be any way to bring up the block diagram. Even Ctrl-E doesn't work. Remove the run-time menu from the .exe, and it works fine. For some reason I can't figure out, setting DebugServerWaitOnLaunch=True in the executable's .ini file disables the run-time menu and you can debug everything except the run-time menu itself. Is this really the case or am I missing something obvious?
Message 1 of 11
(3,265 Views)

Never tried this.  It probably has to do with the fact that the custom runtime menue does not have all the application menues enabled.  Maybe you could put show block diagram into your custom runtime menus or some other mechanism for showing the block diagram.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,264 Views)
You are right this I dont see an obvious fix.
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,258 Views)

falkpl wrote:

Maybe you could put show block diagram into your custom runtime menus or some other mechanism for showing the block diagram.

Nope, even it it's added to the menu, it's grayed-out at run time.  Which makes sense, since the APP_SHOW_PANEL_DIAGRAM item is not supposed to be available in standalone applications.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,239 Views)

Hello,

Have you tried removing the checkmark from the 'Wait for debugger on launch' checkbox on the 'Advanced' page of the build specification 'Properties' dialog box? 

Vivek Nath
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

Machine Vision
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,213 Views)

Did anyone find a solution to this issue?  I have spent a few hours and just keep hitting dead ends.  My program is very user menu intensives and would be difficult to remove to try to make it debuggable.  Is it just not possible to get to the block diagram while doing a Debug Application with a user defined run-time menu?  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,810 Views)

Check the generated .ini file after the build, make sure it has DebugServerEnabled=TRUE. If it's not the case change it, or manually add it. This KB can provide more reference.

Alejandro C. | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,795 Views)

The issue is that the RTM is blocking the request (CTRL-E) to see the block diagram.  This happens in developer mode or a complied application.  Is there a way to get to the block diagram or pragmatically open the block diagram while the program is running?

Yes, it is set to TRUE

[simpleFIFO]
server.app.propertiesEnabled=True
server.ole.enabled=True
server.tcp.paranoid=True
server.tcp.serviceName="My Computer/VI Server"
server.vi.callsEnabled=True
server.vi.propertiesEnabled=True
WebServer.Enabled=True
WebServer.TcpAccess="c+*"
WebServer.ViAccess="+*"
DebugServerEnabled=True
DebugServerWaitOnLaunch=False

Matthew Fitzsimons

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,787 Views)

So, I tried to reproduce it on my end. I created a VI, defined a custom run-time menu (Windows menu only) and built the app following the steps given by this KB. I was able to see the block diagram, I just selected Windows»Open Block Diagram, CTRL+E also did the trick. Check the images attach.

Alejandro C. | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,776 Views)

Sorry, I needed to be more specific.  You are using a Default RTM.  The issue is when you use a Custom RTM.  Even it you define Open Block Diagram it is not avaialbe in the deplyed verion.  Attached is a sample Custom RTM in ZIP format.

Matthew Fitzsimons

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,762 Views)