LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBTMC device does not show up in MAX.

I have a USB device that will not show up in MAX.  When I plug the device into the computer, it is recognized as a USBTMC device and Windows chooses NiUsbTmc.sys as the driver.  I believe it also uses niusbtmc.inf and niusbtmc.pnf.  After going through the process and rebooting, the device shows up in the Windows device manager as a USB Test & Measurement device.  When I open MAX, the device does not show up in the device tree, nor can I seem to find a way to communicate with it.  So I uninstalled the device, removed the files above to a temp directory, rebooted, and then created a new inf file using the VISA driver wizard.  After going through that whole process, rebooting and then plugging the device back into the computer, I directed Windows to use the new inf file.  The device now shows up in the Windows device manger as a NI-VISA device and the driver is NiViUsbK.sys.  I open MAX back up and the device is nowhere to be found.  I tried using the VISA Interactive control to find the device, but no luck.  What step or steps am I missing?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,221 Views)
Just plugging the instrument in should have made the device appear as USBTMC in MAX and using the driver wizard is not correct. I don't understand why it didn't show up in MAX with either method though. I've only a small amount of experience with USBTMC but have used the wizard a lot for internally developed USB instruments and they have always appeared in MAX. What version of VISA are you using? The latest version is 4.1 that can be downloaded from http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/websearch/B1A7837FFFD2826E8625729100689D3C?opendocument&node=13207....
Message 2 of 5
(3,201 Views)
Thanks for the reply.  I am using MAX version 4.2.1.  I think the problem might be that it is a new piece of Agilent equipment.  I can talk to it using Agilent IO, but can't even see it with MAX.  I wonder what is in the Agilent USBTMC driver that is not in the NI USBTMC driver.  I was under the impression that USBTMC was supposed to allow interoperability.  I have yet to read a couple of technical papers from Agilent...........     
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,192 Views)
Hi,
What version of NI-VISA do you have installed? You can find this in MAX by expanding the Software folder and clicking on NI-VISA. It will show the version on the pane on the right. Did you install Agilent VISA as well? If so, what order did you install the two VISA drivers? Did you install Agilent VISA for side-by-side installation? What version of the Agilent I/O Libraries did you install?

Regards,
Missy S.
Project Engineer
RoviSys
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,173 Views)

Missy,

I am using NI-VISA version 4.1, visa32.dll is version 4.1.0.49152, NIvissaic.exe is version 4.1.0.49152.  I installed all of my NI software (LabVIEW, etc.) first.  I installed the latest version of the Agilent IO libraries (14.2.8931.1) second and made sure to install the Agilent VISA in side-by-side mode, leaving the NI-VISA as the primary.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,164 Views)