From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBLAN version compatibility problem?

I have an sbRIO 9636 but not the USBLAN cable that originally came with it.  When I try using a USBLAN that came with a 9637, MAX sees the USB transfer cable, but when I open the VISA test panel, there is one error,  "control pipe"  has invalid property value.  It sounds like the newer USBLAN has a parameter that is not supported by the 9636.  Is there an easy way to change the software either on the USBLAN or the 9636 to fix this?  Or is it possible to purchase a 9636 compatible USBLAN?  I like using the USBLAN for LV development so the ethernet port can be a mapped network drive on a different computer.

Thanks,

Jesse

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,238 Views)

Why would you need to use a VISA test panel to talk to the sbRIO over USBLAN? Does the controller show up in the Remote Targets list? Are you able to connect to it in a LabVIEW project using the 172.22.11.2 IP address?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,227 Views)

Thank you for following up, the 9636 does appear in MAX with a DHCP ethernet address.  When I try to create new remote device on 172.22.11.2 I get a message, cannot initialize connection to remote target.  Since the usb transfer cable does appear in MAX, I right clicked on it to see the VISA test panel and saw that there is an error with one invalid property value (Control Pipe).  When I unplug the USBLAN from the 9636, a number of other errors will show up, when I plug it back in there is still the one error.  Based on this I posted my question of how to fix the error condition, presumably change software on cable or 9636, or find an older type USBLAN cable. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,214 Views)

Two other observations on this issue with a newer USBLAN cable on an older sbRIO 9636 board,

1. If I ping 172.22.11.2, I see "destination host unreachable" with the sbRIO 9636 plugged in to the USBLAN, in safe mode and normal power up

2. In safe mode the blue lights of the USBLAN are completely off, while a normal power up gives blinking / steady on the sbRIO / PC side blue lights after a little while.

Thanx !

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(1,178 Views)

Your hammering on an USBLAN cable is at least misleading. That cable is a simple USB-C to USB-A cable. As such it is VERY unlikely that it is the cause of your problems. USBLAN is the name of a class of Windows drivers that connect to according USB CDC devices.

There are many things that could be wrong but as said the cable is almost certainly not the problem. Something in your Windows network configuration settings are much more likely.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,159 Views)

Thanks very much for the clarification.  I see the correct term for the cable I have is "USB data transfer cable", it has a module in the center of the cable with active electronics and also software as far as I know.

I also have a 9637 sbRIO.  When I plug the cable into the 9637 the connection is good, therefore it seems the Windows network settings are OK.  When I plug into the 9636, communication cannot be initialized.  In MAX I can still right click on the USB cable to get a VISA test panel that shows there is a single undefined parameter.

This seems to indicate that the data transfer cable that shipped with 9637 has a new parameter that makes it not compatible with the previous 9636 version, thus my question of can I do something to make it work on the 9636?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(1,146 Views)

Interesting, I didn't know that the 9637 shipped with a different kind of USB cable. For the 9636, can you just try a normal USB-B to A cable, without the active components?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,140 Views)

Thanks to all for floating some helpful ideas.  It looks like this problem is obscure and annoying so I will work around it.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,131 Views)